PDA

View Full Version : Another Repro "Zouave" question.....

Flatlander35
03-16-2022, 10:04 PM

I know, I know, these things have been beaten to death, resuscitated, and re-beaten....*sigh*..... So I bought this for super cheap. I saw near new, 3 digit Miroku "Zouave" 1863 type rifle and snagged it real quick as I own a Miroku made Winchester 1873 saddle ring carbine and it is nothing short of exceptional and their Browning guns are equally nice. I figured the quality would be the same. This must have been fired less than 50 times, it is in fantastic condition. High polish blue, nice color case hardening, the lock works great... Much to my dismay, when I got home I did some research on the Miroku made "Ultra-Hi" black powder rifles and there were nothing but horror stories. 95% revolving around flint locks with octagon to round barrels, which often seemed to be two pieces welded together. The other common complaint was a welded in breech. I am *very* new to this, not really sure what to look for, and just want to have a rifle that is safe to shoot. I've shot it around a hundred times with no problems, but the more I think about it the more nervous I get. I had a smith look it over and he said it was OK, but he doesn't specialize in these things. Can anybody tell from these pictures if this rifle is safe to fire with regularity or is it one of those bad apples with welded parts? It sure is fun and the machining is actually pretty darn nice, it would be a shame to be a wall hanger but safety is my priority.

Please forgive me for this, almost all of the "Zouave" questions I see are based on the Zoli brand, and anything Ultra-Hi is trashed but no mention is made of percussion guns. Thanks in advance.

geezmo
03-20-2022, 10:09 AM
David,

I don?t see Miroku Zouaves on the current Approved Arms list for use in the NSSA. For future reference, for other firearms you may look to acquire, you can check their status by going to the home page, click links, then rules & forms them approved arms. Model 1863/64 Springfields made by Miroku and imported by Dixie Gun Works are on the list. They have good reputations, are pretty desirable and bring good prices. The early zouaves by Hy Hunter and Mississippi rifles by Bernadelli had brazed on bolsters, a few of which reportedly separated on firing. As a result the Hy Hunter zouaves aren?t approved. Later Bernadelli Mississippi rifles, with welded bolsters (block letter W stamped on bolster) are approved. Yours looks like a cast breech section threaded to a steel barrel with the exterior machined to match. This method is used in quite a few repro?s. I don?t see this to be a problem. If I misspoke maybe someone else will chime in here.

Something you might want to consider is going to an N-SSA skirmish as a spectator. You can get to talk with experienced shooters, pick their brains, observe the whole process and maybe even get interested in skirmishing yourself. I see there are several skirmishes scheduled in Michigan this season in Laingsburg and Maybee, Michigan, if that?s anywhere near you. You can verify dates from the home page and click on calendar.

Good luck,
Barry S.