PDA

View Full Version : WTB: .615 round ball mold (or thereabouts)

keweenaw
03-15-2022, 09:52 AM
Greetings.

I am in the process of building a Ferguson breechloader. Per the posts I've read, the ball size can vary greatly, with various results.

So, I would like to buy a .615 round ball mold, or anything close to it to experiment. Please let me know what you have. Thanks.

geezmo
03-15-2022, 03:05 PM
I got mine from Tanner in England. Check them out - ballmoulds.com Well made, require Lee 6 cavity handles and have no sprue plate, or cutter. You have to nip them off yourself. Quick delivery. Read his whole site. He tells you how much to allow for shrinkage and what to order to get the size you want.

geezmo
03-15-2022, 03:45 PM
Do you have, or are you aware of, the book - ?Every Insult and Indignity? by Roberts and Brown. A lot of good research and shooting info in there. Also check out Great War Militaria - greatwar.com. - Go to their site, click on Historic Firearms then
Then Ferguson rifle. A lot more info. Good luck with your build.

keweenaw
03-15-2022, 05:21 PM
Do you have, or are you aware of, the book - ?Every Insult and Indignity? by Roberts and Brown. A lot of good research and shooting info in there. Also check out Great War Militaria - greatwar.com. - Go to their site, click on Historic Firearms then
Then Ferguson rifle. A lot more info. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the reference. The Great War site has extensive info on ferguson, his rifle, and the history. Also the Lewis and Clark rifle. Good stuff. Thanks.

0556V
03-16-2022, 10:23 AM
Greetings.

I am in the process of building a Ferguson breechloader. Per the posts I've read, the ball size can vary greatly, with various results.

I would like to buy a .615 round ball mold, or anything close to it to experiment. Please let me know what you have. Thanks.

Let me go look in my mould locker. I think I may have a 615 steel block Lyman I bought it years ago for a Northwest Tradegun.

keweenaw
03-16-2022, 01:11 PM
Let me go look in my mould locker. I think I may have a 615 steel block Lyman I bought it years ago for a Northwest Tradegun.

Thanks, let me know what you have.