PDA

View Full Version : Maynard plastic cases

threepdr
03-13-2022, 09:39 AM
I bought a nice second model Maynard last weekend and have a few brass cases coming. Does anyone have experience competing with the plastic cases? Are they that unreliable or bad that they should be avoided or competition? Any input would be appreciated.

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-13-2022, 09:57 AM
Used them for 2- years. They're junk. They burn through sometimes after one shot. The flash hole burns out quickly, which will erode your flash hole in the breech of you're carbine. Spend the$ and get brass. They'll last for years.

Joe Heatwole 8174v
03-13-2022, 10:12 AM
I agree they are junk. Used them for a while myself and they do not last. Went to brass.

CAGerringer
03-13-2022, 11:34 AM
I don't have a Maynard, but I do shoot plastic cases in a Smith. There is a brass insert that goes into the flash hole that prevents burn through of the flash hole. Could these same inserts be used for increasing the life of a plastic Maynard cartridge?
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

threepdr
03-13-2022, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys,
What?s the best method to clean the brass cases that trust you them? I assume they have to be done pretty soon after the shooting.

Thanks

Lou Lou Lou
03-13-2022, 03:13 PM
Wet tumbling with either ss or ceramic media and Dawn . Lemur shine is optional

ms3635v
03-14-2022, 08:48 AM
Mark,

I rinse my Maynard brass with diluted simple green and water for about 30 minutes when I get home. Then I rinse them in warm water, let dry and tumble with walnut shell media and they look new when done. I have some brass that I have used for over thirty years.

Sven205
03-14-2022, 01:53 PM
I throw any black powder brass into a 2-liter bottle half full of soapy water right after I shoot them. Dump them out when I get home and let dry. Then, tumble (I use a dry vibratory) with walnut or corn media.