PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with special skill to weld small parts?

ewmail15
03-12-2022, 03:47 PM
I have two shotguns with parts in need of welding. I can do big stuff just fine, but not these smalls.

First is my JH Merrill trigger plate. I had placed it against our bookcase, went upstairs then a short while later heard a thud. My wife's floor roku type whatever must have knocked it over and bent it inwards towards the stock. The weak spot was where someone had drilled a hole and hammered a nail into the end of what remained of the stock. That was where the bend was, and where it snapped after I ever-so-gently tried to bend it back in place. Should have known better.

Second is a Confederate shotgun secondary trigger. Had taken it all apart except wasn't able to remove the triggers and plate. Hadn't realized there was a crud-covered/hidden pin holding the triggers in place. Tapped gently on the back of the secondary trigger, and snap went the piece. I've tried all different ways to hold it in place to weld to no avail. Dimensions are on the post-it. I picked up another set of triggers, but the width is 3/32" vs. 1/16" on the original, and the width where the finger would be is also noticeably too wide.

If anyone can take care of these two for me, please pm me. I'll likely never find a donor stock for my Merrill rifle, but the locks are beautifully engraved and so is the trigger guard/plate. Not much is left on the guard/plate though. Probably nobody out there who could bring that engraving back to life. Thanks, Eric.

Maillemaker
03-12-2022, 08:09 PM
The trigger can probably be fabricated from scratch if needed.

Steve

ewmail15
03-24-2022, 07:16 PM
First one tackled was the trigger. I ground down the finger area of the trigger, then welded material to the hidden area, so it resembled the original. Turned out great and then started on the Merrill shotgun trigger plate/guard. Took three welds to fill in all I could, filed and sanded it down, and just had one lingering area I missed. Tried solder but now that's too bright. I'll remove that little amount, then do one more final weld.

What I want to do is bring back some of the faded engraving done on that piece, plus the keys and forend cap. Not much out there as far as gunsmith engraving hand tools. Would anyone have a nice set, or recommend a good brand to find? With all the patterns, Eric.

Frog
03-25-2022, 06:32 AM
If Brownells doesn't have it, It is probably not available.
Brownells is the go to supplier for gunsmiths.