PDA

View Full Version : making musket caps ?

keedeet
03-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know if making musket caps are worth the trouble? If so, is there a tool set and directions on use that I can purchase?

Lou Lou Lou
03-07-2022, 11:04 AM
As far as I know , the only tool is for making #11 pistol caps. Please correct me if Im wrong

Hal
03-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Worth the trouble?

I supposed that would depend. To me, as long as I can get store bought ones, no, it would not be worth my trouble. However, it is the kind of thing I might be prone to giving a try just to see if I could do it. Could be a valuable skill one day.

Maillemaker
03-07-2022, 03:26 PM
I have wondered how hard it is to tool up for making caps and primers of all types. I would think the forming of the metal pieces would be pretty easy. Given the shortages and demand, I can't believe someone hasn't done this already.

Bob Lintner
03-07-2022, 04:29 PM
Replacement for CCI 300 caps would be greatly appreciated. My letter to them fell on deaf ears with a bit of attitude!

nobade
03-07-2022, 07:20 PM
I make them for my own use. I scaled up a Forster Tap-O-Cap to produce cups the right size and load them with FA48 mix. They work exceptionally well, especially in my Sharps rifle that often misfires with the weaker commercial caps. They do take some time and patience to make, but are practically free as far as the cost of materials. I am surprised that the cap formers are not commercially available yet, given the cost and lack of availability of musket caps.