PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Chamber Size Dimensions for Maynard Carbines in .50 cal

Joe Plakis, 9575V
02-25-2022, 10:35 PM
The title pretty much says it all.
I am looking for Chamber Size dimensions for Maynard Carbines.
(Not bullet diameter or barrel diameter).
I am looking for Chamber diameter only for .50 caliber Maynards.

If you could respond with:

Is it original?

Or relined/rechambered?

And the diameter.

Working on a project any and all help would be great.

bobanderson
02-26-2022, 08:17 AM
PM sent, Joe.

John Bly
02-26-2022, 09:14 AM
The chambers in original barrels were tapered about .003". The front end is .547" and the back end is .550" diameter. Some variance is probable in these. The chambers in the barrels I make are .547" diameter if the groove diameter is .517" or less. If the groove diameter is .518" I ream the chamber to .550". Many of the brass cases available for the Maynards run as small as .542" or .543". I've seem some as small as .540". They should be .545" diameter and no larger than .546". I hope this helps you in what you were looking for.

I've had it happen to me and I know it has happened to Hoyt that the front end of the chamber comes out larger than the back making it difficult to pull the fired cases out with the fingers. If this happens then I polish the chamber out so it is a slight taper toward the back. Of course this makes the chamber bigger at the rear. This happens if the bore has any runout. I true it up at the back end but if it is not running true it causes the reamer to wobble as the pilot follows the bore. This makes it larger on the front end. That is probably why the originals had .003" taper.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
02-26-2022, 03:09 PM
Thanks that is awesome information!