PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with CCI Large pistol primers in an 1860 Henry

Terry Schultz, 10057
02-19-2022, 07:57 PM
I am having problems getting Federal Large Pistol Primers for my 1860 Uberti Henry in 44-40 but I can get CCI. I have never use CCI LPP for my 44-40 loads. Is anyone using the CCI and are you having any Fail to fire problems with them?

Ron The Old Reb
02-20-2022, 10:09 AM
When I was skirmishing I used CCI primers in my 44/40 Hennery and I never had a problem. In fact I have been using CCI primers in all my reloads since time began and never had a problem.
The only time I had miss fires was because I didn't seat the primer deep enough and that was with modern guns.

Terry Schultz, 10057
02-20-2022, 11:59 AM
The reason I asked is that I am also do CAS and some of the cowboys with slicked up guns have had problems with CCI not firing. Many have there guns set up with lighter springs and other modifications to make them faster. But my Henry has not been worked on and is stock, I just wanted to make sure I would not run into the problems some of my fellow Cowboys have had.

MR. GADGET
02-20-2022, 01:51 PM
The reason I asked is that I am also do CAS and some of the cowboys with slicked up guns have had problems with CCI not firing. Many have there guns set up with lighter springs and other modifications to make them faster. But my Henry has not been worked on and is stock, I just wanted to make sure I would not run into the problems some of my fellow Cowboys have had.

Terry,
CCI have been known to be harder primers in the reloaders world. So if you lighten and change things from stock you may have problems. Most the time not and they will work fine.

That aside, make sure you lube and clean the firing pin. The design is more a problem when the gun gets exposed to crud.

Terry Schultz, 10057
02-20-2022, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the response. I mostly fire Black Powder blanks for CW reenacting and I never had any problems with Federal primers but like I said I can only find CCI at the moment and want to load up a bunch for next season.

Hal
02-21-2022, 07:39 AM
Are you finding primers in your local gun store? I haven't seen any in over a year. Hope things are starting to come back.

Terry Schultz, 10057
02-21-2022, 08:56 AM
Are you finding primers in your local gun store? I haven't seen any in over a year. Hope things are starting to come back.

Not in my local stores but sometimes I can get them on line. The price is high but so is every thing else since the puppet got into the WH!

John Bly
02-21-2022, 09:08 AM
I find a few now and then but they run about $129/1000. I don't need any that badly yet.

Hal
02-21-2022, 12:14 PM
My son who lives about 2 hours away said he saw some in his local store a couple of weeks ago at $30 something per 1000, but no large pistol. I was over there this weekend and stopped by there and they didn't have any of any kind. I'm in pretty good shape on all but large pistol. I have some, but not enough to be comfortable with.

Muley Gil
02-23-2022, 09:16 AM
My son who lives about 2 hours away said he saw some in his local store a couple of weeks ago at $30 something per 1000, but no large pistol. I was over there this weekend and stopped by there and they didn't have any of any kind. I'm in pretty good shape on all but large pistol. I have some, but not enough to be comfortable with.

I would encourage your son to buy ANY primers at $30 per 1000, regardless of size. You can always find someone who will need that size, even if you yourself don't use it.