PDA

View Full Version : Wanted .678 Round Ball Mould

dougmichigan
02-13-2022, 11:56 AM
Does anyone make .678 round ball moulds. I prefer a steel to brass or aluminum but will look at all. Used is ok if it is in good shape.

dougmichigan
02-18-2022, 02:07 PM
It was suggested I try ordering a mould from MP Molds. I ordered one and it came in just 4 days! Very well made double cavity!

MR. GADGET
02-18-2022, 04:58 PM
You have a link to them?

All I have seen is single. Be nice to find a steel double mold.

geezmo
02-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Googled it. It?s Mp-molds.com

edrutecki
02-19-2022, 08:05 PM
It was suggested I try ordering a mould from MP Molds. I ordered one and it came in just 4 days! Very well made double cavity!

I'm interested and would LOVE an evaluation of this mold. Looks like it is sprueless from the pictures. How does it cast? Are the balls round and mic'ng out to near .678? Missed out on a "fleebay" RCBS .678 in the Fall (still kicking myself in the $%@ for not bidding higher, this just might fill the void.

Ed

Bob Lintner
02-21-2022, 02:20 PM
You may want to check out a brass round ball mold by Jeff Tanner's son at Ballmolds. Handles are available locally.

edrutecki
02-21-2022, 07:32 PM
You may want to check out a brass round ball mold by Jeff Tanner's son at Ballmolds. Handles are available locally.

Yes, I have looked at that mold and it is on the short list if I run out of options. Problem number 1 is that it does not have a sprue cutter. #2 is that other Skirmisher's have commented that the cast balls are not round (although I'm doubtful any of the molds out there are perfectly round). I have a Moose round ball mold I bought just before he stopped making them and it is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I have a Lyman .678 that cast .674 which just isn't cutting it. My Moose mold is .670 and it is spot on! I'm hoping to find an RCBS, but maybe I can con Moose into making me a mold, if all else fails it's off to Tanner.

Thank you for the follow up Bob!

Ed

Bob Lintner
02-21-2022, 07:46 PM
Ed,
For what it's worth, Amazon has wire flush cutters (IGAN-P6) that may be of interest. They are $8.47 so not much of a cost. Good luck!
Bob

edrutecki
02-22-2022, 08:12 PM
Ed,
For what it's worth, Amazon has wire flush cutters (IGAN-P6) that may be of interest. They are $8.47 so not much of a cost. Good luck!
Bob

Thank you Sir! Threw a pair in the cart. Think I'm going to give the Tanner mould a shot.

Ed

RaiderANV
02-24-2022, 05:37 PM
Thank you Sir! Threw a pair in the cart. Think I'm going to give the Tanner mould a shot.

Ed

Ordered a .673 from Tanner and it was flawless and dead on .673 when cast. It also got here in 10 days

edrutecki
03-17-2022, 07:34 PM
Ordered a .673 from Tanner and it was flawless and dead on .673 when cast. It also got here in 10 days

Ordered my Tanner mould before I saw this reply. I originally put a .678 in the cart and then saw the recommendation that I needed to take "shrinkish" of the lead into account. I recalculated and ordered a .681 mould. It arrived about a week and a half after ordering. Very nice mould!!!!!! I also bought the Amazon sprue cutters recommended above. Did a bit of casting with it today. Took about 15 balls before the mould came up to temp. From the 16th thru the 105th I cast the mould is dead nuts on!!!!!!!!!!!! Very easy to cast with even with the extra step of removing the sprues. This mould casts extremely nice looking smooth round balls. I highly recommend Tanner moulds!!!!!!!!! I will buy another if the need arises.