PDA

View Full Version : Goex to Schuetzen swith

tackdriver
02-03-2022, 12:46 PM
All of my rifles were sighted in using Goex, which of course means they no longer make it. I am switching over to Schuetzen... I was told that this Schuetzen is "hotter" burning and that I would need to use less.

Can someone save me a lot of time and powder at the range if you could let me know whether I need, and by about how much more or less, I should start my load using this SchuetZen?

thx

Maillemaker
02-03-2022, 12:51 PM
I just remember it being dirtier than Goex. There is a recent thread that discusses this where numerous people found it to be dirtier in muzzle loaders but good in cartridges. I almost gave up on the Moose Wilkinson bullet as I could only get about 3 shots off before it started getting crunchy on loading with Shuetzen. With Goex I can shoot it pretty much indefinitely.

Steve

RaiderANV
02-03-2022, 01:20 PM
I found it was 10% less for the same Goex load. I also found it to get dirtier quick and harder to load though I did not foul out I decided against it and stayed with Goex. Graf & Son's powder worked awesome but it's hard to catch instock.

tackdriver
02-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys. I just NOW heard that GOEX is going to be made again! Some company called ESTES.. And I just bought 10lbs of Shuetzen and paid $66 in shipping alone!

Maillemaker
02-04-2022, 08:05 PM
They say it will be 2023 before they are making powder again so you are probably fine.

Bob Lintner
02-04-2022, 08:16 PM
When one door closes another one opens.

RangerFrog
02-05-2022, 03:34 PM
This was discussed over on the ASSRA forum as well. IIRC, Estes is the outfit that makes model rocket engines (and maybe powder for fireworks??) It will be interesting to see when and what kinds of powder production suitable for our purposes occurs. Since the shutdown of the old GOEX powder works came just as we were starting back to shooting post COVID, it will be interesting to see what adjustments we all have to make until everything shakes out again.

Froggie

Maillemaker
02-05-2022, 04:35 PM
The latest press releases I saw indicated that Estes plans to continue to produce black powder for shooters.

Steve