PDA

View Full Version : Tight action on Smith carbine

Yakiman
01-23-2022, 02:24 PM
I have a new Pietta Smith carbine and the action is so tight I can't open it with just a finger in the trigger guard. I have to turn it over and use thumb pressure - does that top spring "break in" over time, should I back off the top spring screw a bit, or am I just an old guy with weak fingers?

Maillemaker
01-23-2022, 07:40 PM
It could just be a tight hinge joint. One of my Smiths is tight to open but it's not the spring release - it's the actual hinge that is tight. You can tell by pushing the spring release trigger up and pushing down hard on the barrel.

Steve

Michael Bodner
01-24-2022, 11:27 AM
The Smith's can be a bit tricky, assuming that everything is OK with mechanism.

Try placing TWO fingers inside the trigger guard (index and middle finger). Then, simultaneously, pull up with both fingers (and that hand) and apply gently, downward pressure on the barrel. Do this QUICKLY... If you do it slowly, you'll never overcome the spring force. It HAS to be a quick snapping action...

Once you have it open, you can determine how tight the hinge is simply by working it...

Its a knack, so 1) do it QUICKLY, and 2) If you get tired, REST 10 minutes then try it again...

Good Luck

-Mike

Harry Gaul
01-24-2022, 09:30 PM
If the breech is empty, then it could be a tight hinge pin. If you are shooting the Smith, and the breech is tight, it could be the cases. What kind of case are you using?

Harry in Pa.
3626v

Hal
01-25-2022, 07:00 AM
Smiths will wear at the locking lugs and get loose. When they do, accuracy goes down hill. After getting mine tightened up, I sometimes have the same problem. I have decided to live with it. It will loosen up over time, but accuracy may suffer when it does.