PDA

View Full Version : J. P. Murray BBL finish

Rebel Dave
01-22-2022, 05:22 PM
Hello Everyone

Looking for some info on J. P. Murray Carbines.
Can anyone tell me what the originals had for a barrel finish,???. I have gone thru all my Confederate Long Arm books, but none of them mention barrel finish. Were they blued, browned, or in the white, ???.

Thanks
Rebel Dave

Eggman
01-23-2022, 09:51 AM
I'd say most likely finished with "Dragon's Blood" like in all the U.S. arsenals. A fabulous starting point for your research is right here in Keweenaw's thread "Original rifle musket arsenal finishing process" on 12/21/2016. In the middle of this thread is R McAuley's observations on barrel finishing. Of course, there is no guarantee these carbines were finished this way, but were I a betting man, I would bet on it. As it were, I would bet Marty Rogers shoes on it.

noonanda
01-23-2022, 02:43 PM
Ill look to confirm, but If I remember correctly they were blued

Eggman
01-24-2022, 09:40 AM
Ill look to confirm, but If I remember correctly they were blued
Be sure to site your source on this. All my sources for all CW martial arms say dragon's blood brown. Some of the extraneous parts like barrel bands were blued. My antiques, all the same identical brown color, would seem to confirm this. Of course if you're one of the 100,000 Wisconsin registered voters over 135 years old it's a lock for you.