PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1855 Revolving rifle

noonanda
01-09-2022, 05:53 PM
I know these things were not very popular during the war from what I have read due to the possibility of a chain fires or lead spinters into the shooters arm while shooting. But they seemed to do pretty good for the 21st Ohio at Chickamauga until they ran out of ammo. I also notice there are non listed in the SAC manual. Is there a reason for this?

Ron The Old Reb
01-09-2022, 07:21 PM
"possibility of a chain fires or lead spinters into the shooters arm while shooting" ​ More like lousing a couple of fingers or your whole hand. I think this is the reason.

hobbler
01-09-2022, 08:37 PM
Did the rifles chain fire more often than revolvers?
Did the larger diameter chambers and the greater powder charges make for more ignitions?

Robt. Propst
01-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Yes. To reply to the original post, Skirmish Rule 19.4.a. Prohibited Arms, applies. The use of any firearm employing exposed loaded chambers which must be held so that portions of the body of the competitor, other competitors, or spectators are in the line of fire of unfired cylinders is prohibited.

noonanda
01-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Yes. To reply to the original post, Skirmish Rule 19.4.a. Prohibited Arms, applies. The use of any firearm employing exposed loaded chambers which must be held so that portions of the body of the competitor, other competitors, or spectators are in the line of fire of unfired cylinders is prohibited.

I thought it was the case, thanks for confirming