PDA

View Full Version : Smith Barrel

BillWeitz
06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I need to replace a barrel on a Navy Smith (the one on it is bulged and cracked). Can I still get a Yeck replacement? Any other suggestions?

Southron Sr.
06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Do you have a spare Yeck Smith Barrel? I don't know anyone that has any.

Back in the 'Old Days,' before the Yeck or Italian Smiths were in production, gunsmiths would turn down and mill surplus WWII .50 BMG machine gun barrels and install them on original Smiths that needed new barrels.

Your best bet is to contact Bobby Hoyt and have him reline your Smith barrel. Several of our team members have had Hoyt reline their Smith barrels and they are very pleased with the work and the accuracy of their relined barrels.

BillWeitz
06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I have no spare barrel, I had heard the the Yecks drop in to the Navys pretty well but I counldn't find anything that suggested that they are still made or available. I have full confidence in Bobby Hoyts work but I know he's usaually pretty backed up.

J Weber 4114V
06-23-2010, 09:46 PM
A shooting wanted me to swap a Yeck barrel to a Italian Smith. Wont work.The Yeck has Acme threads.The Italian has 60 deg threads that I assume are metric. Talk to Hoyt.

MAPedersen
06-24-2010, 08:53 AM
I just had Hoyt do the same for a Smith Italian repop, he cut the old barrel under the barrel band and stretched and relined. I was surprised that it showed up on my doorstep 6 weeks after I gave the gun to him. Haven't shot it yet but I have full confidence that it will shoot as well if not better than the original barrel.

BillWeitz
06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Looks like I should have just called Bobby first thing. Had a great conversation on what he could do for me and his back log is a thing of the past.
Thanks for the advise fellas.