PDA

View Full Version : Ballard Info

glenn14cvi
12-29-2021, 01:03 PM
Anyone out there have info on a Ballard thinking about getting into the single-shot and what do you have to do to get it ready to shoot Thanks

efritz
12-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Glenn
1st read the rules governing Ballards. In short, Hoyt can fix you up to get one able to shoot. There?s others too. It?s frowned upon to permanently alter one as they?re getting scarce. Hoyt did a carbine for me by making it a half stock with a new a barrel and attaching it. I still have the original so it can be put back to original condition. Had to fabricate a forearm piece of wood purchased from S&S and a couple of small items to make it legal. Hope this helps a little.

Jack C., 69th NY
12-29-2021, 03:58 PM
In addition to that Eric and Glen, one would have to do a center fire conversion either by having one made by a qualified individual/gunsmith, using one of the scarce self contained conversion units formerly sold by Nick at the Gator Den or having the hammer modified so that it hits a center fire primer. Carbines and half stock models are to be in .44 caliber while the Ball & Williams, 3 band Kentucky models are .46 caliber. .45 caliber are acceptable as in 45 Colt. And then there is the option of using, in a .46 caliber model, a 44-40 case with a .454 gas check bullet but that could be the subject of an entirely different post.

Steve Blancard
12-30-2021, 09:47 AM
Then there is the option of making reloadable .44 rimfire cases from readilly available centerfire brass.. No alreration of the gun required.

Eggman
12-30-2021, 01:17 PM
VERY interesting. Got to assume that's a .22 blank in there. Got to ask, how did you fill up the exposed part of the primer pocket?

Eggman
12-31-2021, 11:44 AM
For curiosity's sake here are a couple of rimfires we manufactured for a couple a decades - sold thru Dixie Gun Works. Shown are a .44 and a .56 Spencer. These provided a pocket for a .22 blank as primer. Of course using the Spencer the blank had to be aligned in the 3 o'clock position. The centerfire conversions sort of more or less made this case obsolete although they continued to sell. Discontinued these cases when the factory I used closed down. If anyone wants to look at these as samples for modelling give me a holler.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
12-31-2021, 02:05 PM
If you are looking at a carbine you could have it made up to shoot both percussion and cartridge. Then you can shoot in both carbine matches.

glenn14cvi
12-31-2021, 06:19 PM
If you are looking at a carbine you could have it made up to shoot both percussion and cartridge. Then you can shoot in both carbine matches.
Have a rifle in mind but doesnt look to promising with i have been told so far

Steve Blancard
01-04-2022, 08:20 PM
VERY interesting. Got to assume that's a .22 blank in there. Got to ask, how did you fill up the exposed part of the primer pocket?

I have a 2-part video that goes through my whole process.

https://youtu.be/MeQcElAGCBE

https://youtu.be/Fxz9s9kjflI

And then shooting them at the range.

https://youtu.be/aq3CqFQd36E