PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun use by confederates - reproduction

JimW
06-19-2010, 08:26 PM
I recently had the privilege to have Larry Stevens (Duff's 33rd Tx) make up a reproduction of a shotgun pictured in "Firearms of the Confederacy"by Fuller and Steuart. It is described on page 212 as": An exceptionally heavy and well made double-barrel ten gauge shotgun with nicely engraved front action locks. The barrels are 21 1/2 inches long and the total length 37 1/2 inches. The barrels beside being cut off have been equipped with regular musket-size nipples and a large sling swivel has been added to the butt stock. Set into the right hand side of the stock with small brass nails is FIFTH TEXAS C.S.A. and on the left hand side of the stock the letters B.C.L. and Co.D. A coin dated 1858 was made into a front site

At any rate Larry was good enough to make one up for me quite similar to the description, just for display purposes. He used Maynard nipples, cut the barrels down, made a coin front site and added sling swivels and generally made a silk purse out a pigs ear. I thought some of the readers might get a kick out of seeing it here. Thanks to John Holland who was kind enough to take time from his busy schedule to take a look at it.

RaiderANV
06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Larry almost used starr nipples.......dang glad I showed up w/ the Maynard nipples! Green

Southron Sr.
07-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Can't we use double barrel, percussion shotguns in Smoothbore Competition?

A. We know the Confederate cavalry used them.

B. And after all, they are "smoothbores!"

Cauterizer
07-05-2010, 06:10 AM
I had no idea I needed one of these until I saw the picture. Very nice gun! I have no concept of what I'll use it for, but I'll think of something to tell the female in my house that actually remembers what I buy and what I paid for it. Better sneak this in under the radar.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
07-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Southron the problem is the metal used for the barrels, it would not support the pressure of a solid slug. It would end up something like the shotgun from the cartoons with a finger in end! I think some if not most barrels were Damascus Barrels

R. McAuley 3014V
07-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Southron the problem is the metal used for the barrels, it would not support the pressure of a solid slug. It would end up something like the shotgun from the cartoons with a finger in end! I think some if not most barrels were Damascus Barrels

For double-barreled birding and fowling pieces, the British proof for the typical 12-gauge double-barreled smoothbore was a 535-grain spherical lead ball for provisional proof with 350 grains of T.P. powder; and for definitive proof, 535-grains of spherical lead ball with 219-grains of T.P. powder; regardless of whether plain or twisted iron. Only double-barreled military arms had a more severe provisional proof of a 535-grain spherical ball with 437-grains of T.P powder. Definitive proof was the same for both. So it's not because the barrel is Damascus. It's the quality of weld as well as whether it was proved in Great Britain or Liege. In Belgium, guns were proved only once, with much lower charges because the Belgians considered the British proofs too severe for their barrels.

John Holland
07-06-2010, 12:35 AM
The period proofing information is all very interesting, but isn't the question today, really, what has 150 years of age done to the welded joints of the Damascus?

I fractured the left barrel, at the breech, on a "London Fine Twist" double in 1965. Fortunately, my left hand was way up the forearm. But, a friend of mine wasn't so lucky with his, he now has one hand because of the failure of a Damascus double.

JDH