PDA

View Full Version : 3d printed cartridge box insert

John Westenberger
11-05-2021, 06:39 PM
Saw fellow member Maillemaker (as well as a few others!) were messing around with 3d printing cartridge box inserts for his carbine over the summer last summer, and thought I'd try my hand at my own. Seemed like their big limitation was time to print, but with some tweaking and a large printer, I can manage 6-8 of these a day. Each holds 14 rounds, which is about right for what I manage in a carbine relay, and plenty for musket.

Harry Gaul
11-05-2021, 09:16 PM
My son in law has a laser printer. What information do I need to give to him so I can have him print one?

Harry in Pa.

Kevin Tinny
11-05-2021, 09:28 PM
Hello, John:
Nice looking. Thanks for sharing.
Any chance you will part with a couple when ready, please?
Thanks.
Kevin Tinny

Muley Gil
11-05-2021, 09:39 PM
What are the three dimensions and are you going to sell them?

Eggman
11-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Yup here tooith.

John Westenberger
11-06-2021, 11:36 AM
Dimensions are a little under 1 1/2" wide, 6 3/4" long, and 1 1/2" tall. Fits snug in my 2"x7" cartridge box, while being loose enough to remove easily. The nice part about the way I have the design set up, is that to change what kind of tube or carbine cartridge the hole is for, all I need to do is the dimensions of the cartridge, so as long as you don't mind capacity going down a little, you could even make this work for big .69 cal tubes.

I was considering taking orders before Mid Atlantic skirmishes and Nationals, because they're fairly bulky, but inexpensive, you'd pay more to ship them then you would for the insert, so it's easier to just pick them up at skirmishes.

As far as the design goes, you can find it at this link, anyone should be able to print it easily if they have access to a 3d printer.
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aU3grS2NsMW

noonanda
11-08-2021, 07:27 AM
John, thanks for making this up. Question will this fit the larger tubes for .69 cal roundballs?

John Westenberger
11-08-2021, 06:06 PM
John, thanks for making this up. Question will this fit the larger tubes for .69 cal roundballs?

This design, no. But if someone sends me the dimensions of the .69 cal tube, I can easily draw up a design for a .69 cal version.

noonanda
11-08-2021, 09:58 PM
I'll measure a couple tomorrow and post em here

noonanda
11-09-2021, 12:35 PM
This design, no. But if someone sends me the dimensions of the .69 cal tube, I can easily draw up a design for a .69 cal version.

John, measured one of the black soft plastic tubes with calipers, came out at .750

John Westenberger
11-09-2021, 08:37 PM
John, measured one of the black soft plastic tubes with calipers, came out at .750

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/2TiLmWLgYz4

Unfortunately, the size of the tubes limits the number of rounds to 9. Which for a smoothbore match, should be plenty!

John Westenberger
02-02-2022, 06:59 PM
Howdy everyone!

Been a while since I've posted any updates about the inserts, but the 'ol 3d printer has been chugging away for a while.

I've got quite a stockpile of inserts for .58/smith tubes. Even drew up and printed an organizer for a .30 cal ammo box, holds all the ammo needed for musket and carbine. Each side holds 3 loaded inserts for a total of 72 rounds of ready ammo and holds another 64 at the end in the square trays for ammo to be put in the recently emptied trays. The plan is 4 inserts for musket, 2 for carbine, and the rest of the carbine rounds in the squares to be loaded into inserts in camp. As always, I'll include the files if they're wanted to print yourself, if you have access to a 3d printer. Also going to take orders for nationals starting in a month or so.1179911800

John.Hayes
02-02-2022, 11:16 PM
My 69 caliber tubes, the black vinyl ones from Dixie Gun Works, measures .750 in also. Make and sell different sizes, I'll buy smoothbore, rifle-musket, and carbine. jh

John Westenberger
02-03-2022, 11:49 AM
My 69 caliber tubes, the black vinyl ones from Dixie Gun Works, measures .750 in also. Make and sell different sizes, I'll buy smoothbore, rifle-musket, and carbine. jh

Already have the design drawn up, I just haven't printed any yet since I don't shoot smoothie (yet).

I'll post an order form on the "for sale" section of the forum when I do open it up