PDA

View Full Version : welding mainsprings

Bob Chabalowski
06-15-2010, 06:59 PM
What filler wire would be used for welding mainsprings. What is the metal compositon of the main spring for musket ,carbine springs .Thanks Bob

Kurt Lacko 7862
06-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Bob, I don't know that there would be such a filler rod. The filler material would have to be very close if not identical to the spring material to obtain the same rehardening and tempering as the spring or it would always be a weak spot. Kurt.

Bob Chabalowski
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks Kurt ,I understand the matching of metal .Is there any info on the compositon of the metal used to make the springs .

wormey
06-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Bob, this is a difficult task, but it can be done. A close approximation would be either 1075 or 1095 steel. Hardening should be by heating to 1550 and quenching in light room temperature oil. It should then be drawn to 900-950. I draw my springs in molten lead with temperature measured by thermometer. There will no doubt be those who will disagree with my advice, but it works for me. wormey :D

clowdis
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
You can use the annealed spring stock like you get from Brownells as filler rod to TIG weld a mainspring back together. You would then have to re-heat treat and anneal the spring. Really not a job for the amateur. Best to buy another one if you can, less expensive too.

John Holland
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Bob,

Mr. Clowdis is quite right.

But, just for what it's worth, here is a personal story. When I was a very young skirmisher, yeah I know sometime back in the Dark Ages, I shot a Smith Carbine. One day the mainspring broke about 1 1/2" back from the stirrup claw. There were no Mike Yeck Smith's yet and no one gave a thought to selling original arms one piece at a time...that was sacreligious! I tried everywhere I knew and couldn't find a mainspring for my beloved Smith. So, one of the older fellows on my team offered to try to weld it back together. Everyone said you couldn't do it, but I figured what the heck it was broken anyway, so what did I have to lose? Back in the 1960's there were no fancy TIG welders, so my friend stick welded it. First he made a simple jig to hold the pieces in the right position, then lightly heated both pieces with a torch, then welded both halves together with a small diameter rod. He let it cool in positoin so it wouldn't warp, then lightly heated the welded section again with the torch. His words were "It probaly won't work." Well, all the stars and planets must have been in alignment because I shot that Smith, with the welded main spring, for the next 30 years. Oh, I bought a spare original mainspring at the first opportunity, some 20 years later, but never put it in.

John Holland
44th New York

Bob Chabalowski
06-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone ,and you are right it isn't for me to do but my buddy is a expert . I gathering as much info for him as possible.I think he is going to enlist in the CSA I hope .We were at Lodgewood yesterday and he can't decide which toy to buy . We had a skirmish a week ago and he regrets not playing with enough skirmishers guns . Thanks again and if anyonee else wants to chime in please do. You can't have enough info .. bob

Eggman
06-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Occasionally a string shows up on this BB that blows my mind. This was one. Thanks boys!!

clowdis
06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
John,
Strangely enough, I clearly remember welding a spring back together for a friend (long time ago also) and it too was for a Smith only it was the one on top that holds the action closed. Took a bit of fitting after welding (intentionally welded it a bit short to allow a bit of fitting because too long would have scrapped it) and as far as I know he's still using it today. Some days you eat the bear and some days ........

Kurt Lacko 7862
07-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Bob, how did the weld turn out? Kurt.

Bob Chabalowski
07-04-2010, 02:17 PM
We haven't done the welding yet but will post results .