PDA

View Full Version : Hey, need a main spring for a Rich Cross Mississippi lock-- cannot find one.

Tom Arliskas
10-13-2021, 02:46 PM
My wife shoots a Cadet Smoothbore musket. The gun is a repro.-- made with a Rich Cross lock of old. I was told and found out it is the same lock he used for a Mississippi Rifle. It is an odd size and finding one is hard. Tried Ledgewood, and three other shops at the Spring Nationals. Does anyone have one in their shooter box for sale?

tucten
10-13-2021, 05:17 PM
Charley Hahn makes springs for Springfields. He fit one on my Mississippi last year.

John Bly
10-13-2021, 09:18 PM
The true 1851 cadet used a slightly smaller lock than the Mississippi and the spring is different. If the gun is a repro and you are sure a Mississippi lock was used you are on the right track. I used to supply Mississippi springs to the sutlers. I got them from the Rifle Shoppe, filed and dressed them up and had them professionally heat treated. I guaranteed them and never had one returned broken. I kept some to replace any that broke but have used them up over the years. The Rifle Shoppe seems to be your only option but it will need fitted and heat treated. They won't sell to me at a quantity discount and If I pay their price and do what I do to them they get so expensive no one wants to pay the price.

I just looked at the Rifle Shoppe on line catalog and they show a hardened mainspring for $34.95. Best of luck to you in getting it.

Allan C.
10-14-2021, 08:49 AM
If an original "Mississippi" mainspring will work I may be able to supply an original or a "Bly" repro.

PM me and I will tell you what I have and a price.

Allan

John Bly
10-14-2021, 09:02 AM
Allan C and I used to be partners in Mississippi parts. I was manufacturing and he was marketing so he may have a spare or two. As I said we have never had to replace one of our springs.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
10-14-2021, 11:37 AM
His 1851 cadet lock does not use anything close to an original main spring. He did a great job and used more modern innards. If as you say is correct, and is like his Mississippi, it uses a more modern black powder mainspring like from a Siler lock. I know the 1851 cadets built buy Bob Hoyt used them, maybe Charlie Hahns cadets did to?

Charlie Hahn
10-14-2021, 02:15 PM
If it is a Rich Cross lock I may have one, Could you send a photo of the lock insides?

Charlie
etb9601@gmail.com

Tom Arliskas
10-15-2021, 08:58 AM
I knew you would understand my pain.. will contact all of you who contacted me to get this done. All is Well. Tom