PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Antique 1892 Winchester in 38-40

MikeArthur
06-10-2010, 03:38 AM
made 1893....would I cast pure lead bullets? what did these old guns use to shoot?

thanks

mike arthur-hart's battery

843 412-1992

:?:

RangerFrog
06-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Mike, a lot of us shooting similar rounds in the single shot Winchesters of that vintage use alloys in the range of 20 to 1 to 30 to 1 pure lead to pure tin. I personally like the happy medium of 25 to 1 and use that as my go-to alloy for all soft steel cartridge barrels, so that would be where I would start for a "modern" load in that rifle. I believe Lyman still lists a mould or two for it, probably something numbered 403XXX.

HTH ~ Froggie

PS Notice that I didn't mention any antimony or use of wheel weight alloy... they don't seem to help much for these cartridges. GF

MikeArthur
06-10-2010, 09:31 AM
froggie, that is very helpful....would a bullet with antimony hurt the rifling of these antiques?

are there any companies that make good ammo for our winchesters?

ten-x, Goex, Black Hills, others?

also, I need a taller front sight..for my 1892...ideas?

thanks

mike :)

Rebel Dave
06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Mike
I don't have a .38-40, I shoot a 73 Uberti Win .44-40 w/20in bbl. I use 20-1 bullets. I get them from Powder inc, $12.00/100, good bullets with SPG lube. I only shoot blk pwdr in my guns. I use an over powder card .030 thic and 35 grns of 3f, and a 200 grn bullet. It shoots good in my rifle, and really barks in my Pietta Colt SAA.
The bottle neck cartridege, does not allow as much blow back, as do the straight wall carts.
I also have a Chapparal 73 Win in .45 colt, with a 24in bbl, That will drive tacks at 50, and 100 yrds with 37 grns 3f, with the over powder card, and a 250 grn bullet.
Both of these loads are slightly compressed, with a compression die. I also use a stout roll crimp on these carts, this will help the blow back, and keep the bullet in place, in the cartridge, and in the lever action magazine tube.
All in all, use only soft lead, 20-1, 25-1. You may need to slug your bbl. If I'm not wrong a .38-40 is actually .40 cal, due to some qwirck, back in the day.
Powder inc also has Black Dawg Ammunition at good prices, and thier shipping is reasonable.
Can't help you with sight, you'll probably have to make one.
Hope my ramblins have helped.
Rebel Dave

MikeArthur
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks for the advice on the uberti winchesters....

i have a henry myself that shoots well...but for now i'd love to hear about reloading the originals. THANKS :D

mike

843 412-1992

Tom Magno, 9269V
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I load for an original 92 SRC in both 32-20 and 38WCF (38-40). Using just about any lead alloy will be fine an not ever wear out the barrel. Using jacketed bullets are not recommended depending on date of manufacture, so I just stay away from them,and they will wear the barrel out over time. I use 20:1 lead/wheel weights and it shoots just fine, no leading with the bullet sized .002 over bore (mine are sized to .403 for the 38WCF). Using smokeless powder is ok if you keep the pressures low (use the load data specifically for weaker action Winchesters - listed that way in the Lyman manual). For 38WCF I use the starting charge recommended of Unique under a 180 grain RNFP lead alloy bullet (plain base, no gas check), which is an easy shooting load, mild and good for smaller game (groundhogs, etc) and pleasant plinking/target shooting. The higher charges don't gain you much and just beat up the gun. The starting load is accurate and adequate. You will probably see around ~1150-1200 fps with that load. I use 44-40 brass sized necked-down with the 38-40 full length resize die, just make sure you use a case lube.

RangerFrog
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Mike, I would be looking for a Lyman/Ideal mould #403169 if it were mine. As for antimony, it's not the wear it's the performance. Most BP barrels in old BP calibers just don't seem to get their best performance with it in the alloy. Lots of shooters use antimony mixes, but I'm just getting too old to dance with ugly women or shoot inferior bullets! Green

Froggie

MikeArthur
06-11-2010, 09:33 AM
charlie, very helpful...i'm going to try and find the mold but also see which ammo makers use a lead /tin combo as you suggest.

also, do you know of a part's place for original winchesters...my front sight is too low and i need a second to lower my point of impact
\
thanks

mike arthur 843 412-1992
:D

Blair
06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Mike,

Do you have a Rifle or a Carbine?
The sights, front and rear, can be quite different.
If your front sight does not appear warn or broken, you may have the incorrect rear sight. Just a thought.
Also, if you want, send me your serial # by e-mail. I can look up your '92 production date and perhaps more details on the trpe of sights it should have.
Blair

MikeArthur
06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
hey blair...it's a 1892 rifle ser num 39bbb
the sight on the gun is a 3/8 dovetail steel base and nickel or silver inset(actual sighting point)
.034 inches total height ( i need .04 inches to lower poi by 5 plus inches at 50 yards...rear slight is max low)....
found a few parts places that may help, waiting to hear (one is $15 i assume new part)

mike 843 412 1992 8)

Blair
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Mike,

# 39bbb was made in 1894 with a total of 37,502 being made in that year.
Any special featureson the firearm you have? Some times these may not be too noticable depending on the feature, and could only be in the type of sights.

I have no less than "5" types of front sights that could fit the discription you gave.
Rear sights are even more complex. Photos of that would help too.

Can you take photos and sent them to btaylor18@cfl.rr.com ?
I will see if I can find what you have and let you know what the type was called originally and let you know if the name has changed. It may help you find a repacement.
Just a suggestion on my part, some of these silver/German silver blades maybe easir to replace with a taller blade than trying to find an "new" one that will also fit the dovetail in the barrel.
Many of these sights are still available from Lyman.
Blair

MikeArthur
06-11-2010, 11:55 AM
pic on its way...what type of solder do you think they would have used to secure the blade?

mike 843 412-1992 :D

Blair
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Mike,

A low temp silver solder. If they used a solder at all.
Some are a dovetail pressure fit.
Some may have had a pin built into the blade that was peened to the underside of the base.
Some maybe fastend to the base with a drift pin. (this would be the easist fix)
It really depends on the type of sight and arrangement

DAVE FRANCE
06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi Mike,

In Ben Venturinos book about Lever Rifles he mentions an 1899 add by Winchester for 44-40 ammunition said they use soft lead. That seems to fit the responses you have gotten. It probably had a low percentage of tin to make it cast better due to the improved fluidity when tin is added to lead. I don't think antimony was used at all until later.

Dave