PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Brooks or similiar .451 cylindrical mould

Randall
08-28-2021, 09:07 PM
This is probably a pipe dream but it has been suggested to me by another Whitworth shooter that I try a locate a Brooks (preferred) or other make flat base smooth Pritchett type paper patch bullet mould for my PH Whitworth. If you have one hiding under the bench that might do the trick send me a PM. Thanks

Randall
08-28-2021, 09:37 PM
It has come to my attention that I may have misspoken ( brain fart) about the mould being a Brooks mould. He also mentioned a mould that was made by Bill Roberts of the same design with a hollow base. The preference was for the flat base but that might not be doable. At any rate, it will be for paper patching so any number of moulds may be suitable.

Thanks

Randall
08-29-2021, 08:52 PM
I decided to have one made instead of looking for a used mold in unknown condition. Seems like money better spent.

hobbler
08-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Hey there.
By any chance are you looking for something like a Lyman #451114?
Or only smooth sided?

Randall
09-02-2021, 09:52 AM
I have a Lyman .451 with grease grooves and I need one without the grooves. I think Lyman used to make one that was smooth sided but I might be mistaken about that.

Muley Gil
09-02-2021, 07:51 PM
I have a Lyman .451 with grease grooves and I need one without the grooves. I think Lyman used to make one that was smooth sided but I might be mistaken about that.

You can have that mould bored smooth, giving you a mould without grease grooves.

hobbler
09-03-2021, 11:11 AM
A path forward I've pursued is a round ball mold altered to provide a round nose.
The adjustable length plug with interchangeable flat and hollow bases (flat, small cavity, big cavity) allows you to work around problems.
Or make yourself some new ones!:rolleyes:

http://i.imgur.com/0cSI29U.jpg (https://imgur.com/0cSI29U)

Randall
09-04-2021, 05:17 PM
That is an interesting mold.

nobade
09-04-2021, 10:34 PM
Are you familiar with Accurate molds? He will cut nearly anything you like and the quality and price are very good. I couldn't keep my guns running without his help!
http://accuratemolds.com/

Kevin Tinny
09-05-2021, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about Accurate:

Accurate has made many moulds for me and other skirmishers. No issues, BUT:

His website can be a bit challenging. Still, it contains all the info needed.
He is stone deaf, so NO TELEPHONE CALLS. Calls and voicemail/text msg's will not be answered! Please use the email window on the website. It always works.

Be careful - if you do not specify otherwise, he may "adapt" an existing design instead of doing a fully custom one. This might cause some frustration. Just be clear in the written instructions. And, if you do not want your custom design shown in his catalog, say so up-front.

Each of his moulds for me have been 100% correct because of a full, clear description, including the as-cast diameters in "new" (harder) Lyman #2 alloy.
I ask for as-cast OD of .001" over desided sized diameter to minimize sizing effort.
I prefer the iron ones for durability.

This guy is a national treasure.
Smiles.
Kevin Tinny

Randall
09-08-2021, 03:19 PM
Accurate has been my go to for custom molds for several years now and that was where I was headed to get the cylindrical mold made. I've had really good luck with modifications to his stock molds. I need to get the pin gauges out and find my actual bore size so I can adjust for the paper patch material and the .001 under size and get it ordered. Thanks for the help and suggestions.