PDA

View Full Version : P-1858 Naval Rifle Variant

Old Hickory
08-13-2021, 11:30 AM
Having some disposable cash this spring I went on the search for another Civil War long arm to add to my modest accumulation of arms. I stumbled across what a seller had listed as a British Pattern 1860 Army rifle in very good to excellent condition with a bright and shiny perfect bore, five groove rifling, sighted to 1,100 yards. The price was fair, but something bothered me, the but plate, trigger guard, and nose cap were brass, like the Pattern 1858 Naval Rifle, (the P-56/P-60/P-61 Army rifle these parts should be iron) yet the rear sling swivel was in the stock behind the trigger guard tang like an army variant. Now a bit confused as to it's pedigree I consulted Dr. C. H. Roads book on the British soldiers firearm and found nothing about such a variant, either army or navy.

I called the dealer, (Simpson LTD) and confirmed the condition and pristine bore with a salesman who also said, ''This isn't something we normally deal in!'' took a few days and looked through Roads book several more times, still finding nothing on this odd rifle. The rifle was obviously British and purpose made the way it was so I took a leap of faith and bought it. On receiving the rifle I consulted Roads book once again, and this time found it! Page 97 perfectly describes the rifle as a, Royal Marine Artillery Short Rifle, a variant of the Pattern 1858 Naval Rifle. I hadn't considered the Royal Marines, but it fit the description perfectly, same as P-58 Naval Rifle except rear sling swivel in the stock behind the trigger guard tang, often having a ''Beechwood'' stock rather than walnut. This is the first and only one of these I've seen.

The rifle has all the markings of British ownership, not an export arm, the lock is marked Tower 1861, crown on tail with V.R. and an acceptance stamp of Royal property. Likewise the barrel is so marked with broad arrow and crown as well as a simple broad arrow. Various British markings adorn the stock as well as makers markings, and finally the lock screw etruscians are round ear rather than square as found on export guns. No doubt not exported for our civil war. An interesting variant I thought I would share. I'll add, the proper bayonet for these is similar to the army bayonet, not a cutlass type as prescribed for the Naval Model. Has anyone else seen or owned one of these, ''Royal Marine Artillery Short Rifles''?

Muley Gil
08-13-2021, 11:58 AM
Very nice!

Old Hickory
08-13-2021, 12:31 PM
Thank you, I'm very glad I took the ''leap of faith'' and bought it before I even was sure it is a documented variant of the Naval rifle, (okay, I bought it mostly on bore condition).;)

Dave Fox
08-13-2021, 12:52 PM
Post in proper heading in British Militaria Forums. Experts lurk there, just waiting....

Old Hickory
08-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Post in proper heading in British Militaria Forums. Experts lurk there, just waiting....

That might be a good idea, I tried contacting Research Press, but no reply after two months. Thanks!

Maillemaker
08-13-2021, 01:33 PM
Neat find! Pretty pristine looking!

Steve

Old Hickory
08-13-2021, 03:58 PM
Neat find! Pretty pristine looking!

Steve

I doubt it was issued, possibly unfired, but it does have a few nicks, dents in the wood, scratches, etc. from handling over the years. It looks as if it was well stored in a dry dark place over the years. If only I could find a original .54 Mississippi in this condition...

Dan Mastin
08-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Check with Tim Prince (College Hill Arsenal. Tim is a wealth of knowledge on imported arma, especially Enfields.

Dan Mastin
2829v

Old Hickory
08-13-2021, 06:24 PM
Check with Tim Prince (College Hill Arsenal. Tim is a wealth of knowledge on imported arma, especially Enfields.

Dan Mastin
2829v

College Hill was one of the sources I used comparing nice condition P-58 Naval and P-61 Army rifles to this rifle, though I had not directly contacted him.