PDA

View Full Version : Picked up Burnside today

ewmail15
08-07-2021, 10:40 PM
Last night I stuck with the Burnside-in-pieces for auction thru Kramer Auction Services in Prairie Du Chien, WI. They didn't reply to my inquiry about whether the block serial matched the receiver/frame (29263), and if the rear breech block with the nipple was there. Picked it up today, and in the parts box was the little plastic container with the block sitting in oil. Oh boy, what a relief! I did notice a serial(?) number that was matching on the two surfaces of the breech block parts, 19xxx - where they contacted each other horizontally. The numbers on the top of the front breech block look totally original but well worn to me. All the parts are in great, non-rusted, well aged-looking condition. I'll run the bore cleaner to see how she looks inside.

I just wrapped up re-assembling all the parts, and have two that I need - the front lockpate screw that comes from the left, and the hinge pin. The third (block guide screw) I'll have to likely destroy the head to extract, but will add welding to the end and contour, plus fix the head damage with weld here/there and filing. From the whack on the left side end of the

I only saw one hinge pin, and regtqm wants $199. DGW has a repro for $5 and I could cut that section and weld to my original pin and do my best to make it look all original. Might anyone have a bit cheaper pin and/or the lockplate screw? I also checked out Lodgewood, ebay, ssfirearms, general "burnside hinge pin" google photos and website searches.

Could someone share who the inspectors' cartouche initials are, and which one was senior vs. junior? Thanks, Eric.

ewmail15
08-08-2021, 07:02 PM
I was only remotely hoping the guide screw would come out and be re-usable. After five drill bit and extractor changes, I just had to tap the head remnants in on themselves and remove them. This was nothing like the bear of an effort I went through to remove the entire extractor screw from my S&H. If anyone has a spare guide screw, please PM me.

Here are photos of the two breech blocks and their matching numbers - look like serials to me. Would be nice if anyone else could share photos of your same location block numbers. I hope they're matching as well, but also hope they're different than the matching numbers on the frame and top/front breech block. I also snapped some better close-ups of the matching 29263 on the frame and front block. Eric.

ewmail15
08-15-2021, 09:56 PM
Anyone know a Burnside collector who's also a parts collector? Eric.

ewmail15
08-28-2021, 09:42 PM
I picked up the lever hinge pin from DGW for $7 and the lockplate and breech block guide screws for $10 each. Went on youtube again and (re)learned how to age the screws and pin. Salt and white vinegar, then salt and hydrogen peroxide. Did a great job aging the parts.

Hal
08-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Can you show us the aged parts? I've used browning solution in the past, but have gotten inconsistent results.