PDA

View Full Version : George Moller and collection documentation

ewmail15
07-30-2021, 03:43 PM
Hi. I received a flyer from Rock Island Auction Company recently, and found ten Merrill-related firearms from George Moller's collection. Saw on a forum that he passed away this past March 4th. Did anyone know George, and if so is there any possibility that he kept any historical documentation on his firearms? Maybe I need to pick up his book, but nothing's under a hundred. Also, Andrew Lustyik and Ray Geddes passed away last year passed away. They were contributors to the Frank Harrington and Ed Hull write-up on Merrill, Latrobe & Thomas firearms.

Back to the auction, I searched for Moller and over 300 firearms came back. Two Morse conversion Mississippi's are absolutely beautiful.

MarkTK36thIL
07-30-2021, 03:55 PM
If one has any interest in US martial shoulder arms of anything prior to 1865, George Moller's Vol 2 and 3 are an absolute must.

His Vol 1 is Rev War and also equally as valuable. Anyone without them in their library is seriously missing out.

Maillemaker
07-30-2021, 04:15 PM
Wow. I had not heard that he had passed away. What a loss.

I spoke with him a couple of years ago when I started my H&P reproduction project. I was hoping to find out more about his mention of a conversion with a filler of some kind in the flash pan notch of the lock plate. He was very nice and helpful on the phone and went and looked in his collection to see if he still had the gun mentioned in the book (he didn't).

Steve

P.S. Just checked my phone and yup I have him in there as a contact. First time I've ever had someone in my phone pass away. I'm struck with this strange question: To delete the contact or keep it? Technology is strange.

Hal
07-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I have a couple of freinds' numbers in my phone who have passed away. Don't have the heart to delete them.

Harry Gaul
07-30-2021, 07:55 PM
A pearl of wisdom passed down through the ages. You are never dead as long as someone remembers you.

Harry in Pa.
03626v

Smosin
08-31-2021, 01:41 PM
I spoke with George Moller several times, as he was president and past president of the local Denver arms collectors association when I was a member. His knowledge was vast, and his collection, at least what I've seen in person, was very impressive. He also had strong opinions regarding the preservation of firearms, esp. emphasizing how important it was to never refinish, recondition, or alter an antique or collectible firearm, in any way, other than gentle cleanings. The great irony of this statement of his, repeated over and over, as a mantra, is that he stamped his own initials, "GDM", into the buttstocks of most of his collection of antiques and C&R firearms...which I suppose creates a provenance for his collection, now at auction...but also a "do as I say, not as I do".
An awesome collection in that auction listing.

ewmail15
08-31-2021, 02:35 PM
Most excellent point Smosin. Would be nice to know that soon-to-be future owners can raise the stocks to remove his initials. Of all the great collections that should have been kept together and donated to a museum, this one certainly should have been. I asked for and received wonderful photos from RIAC for the 11 Merrill-related firearms, plus the two Morse and one Lindner conversions, but all the others will be squirreled away by collectors, not to be seen again for decades.