PDA

View Full Version : Rapine Liquid Graphite Mould Release

Bob Huntoon
06-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Ray did not have any out when he was at the Nationals.

Does he still have it or is there someone else supplying it?

Bill Jefford, 1511V
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Digger

www.buffaloarms.com (http://www.buffaloarms.com)

Bill Jefford, 1511V, 117EN, NSSA

Bob Huntoon
06-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey Too Tall!

Thanks for the INFO!

Digger

Bob Huntoon
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
By the way,

Has anyone else noted that iron/steel mould surfaces treated with Ray's mould release does NOT seem to rust?

Digger

hp gregory, 9128
06-05-2010, 10:44 AM
i think all he did was mix powdered graphite and alcohol to make up his mould release. hp

matt
06-06-2010, 02:38 PM
i have just started using frankford arms mould release and as much as i liked rapines version this one in my opinion is much better. it is an aerosole and lasts much longer and also keeps the mould from rusting.
matt
winslows battery 9775v

Bob Huntoon
06-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Matt,

Is it like a waxy white spray?

Had a supplier of a really great mould release that fit that description and it was an aerosol. They went out of business -- Bill Ferguson "Antimony Man" has soemthing like it but only wants to sell it in case lots!

Digger

mwmoore10261
06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I am now using the Frankford Arsenal drop out aerosol. It is the same black graphite as Rapine's but does seem to last longer and covers the mould with an even spray. I bought it from the sutler next to Jerry Stone's shop at Fort Shenandoah.I paid $12 a can. Frankford Arsenal has an online site where it sells for $9.99 but don't know what they charge for shipping
Mike Moore, 10261

Lou Lou Lou
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Where do you get the Frankford product?

mwmoore10261
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I think the sutler is Rebel Trader that carries the Frankford Arsenal mould release. I paid $12 for a can at the Spring National. She shows up to most regional shoots at the Fort and always the Nationals. She is right next to Jerry Stone's shop.
Mike Moore, 10261

Rebel Dave
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
You can buy Frankford Arsenal mould release from "Midway USA", on line. That is one of Midways own name brands, I beleive. It is a 6oz spray can, at around $10.00/can. I havn't used it yet, but am thinking of trying a can.
I would post a link, but don't know how. Look it up under Bullet casting, on Midways site.

Rebel Dave

Matt Altieri
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I've been using the Frankford Arsenal Drop Out for about a year now. Not bad stuff. I find you have to re-spray after a while though. Not a heavy coat, but a touch up will do.

matt
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
i got mine from midway and just cast up 600 9mm heads tonight other than some slight shaking of the 6 cavity mold at the end of the casting session they fell right out of the mold. could never have done that with the rapine stuff. im very happy with the frankford arms mold release. a very light coating is all you need. also on my rcbs minie mould the minie balls just fall out as soon as i turn over the open mold.
matt
winslows battery 9775v

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
09-06-2010, 06:51 PM
I have both, and prefer the Rapine liquid over the Frankfort Arsenal spray. I think the Rapine liquid lasts longer, but both eventually wear off. You can get away with using the spray on a hot mold, but I wouldn't try the liquid on anything but a cold one.

I don't use it on the insides of my molds as much as I used to. I went on a jhihad trying to get consistent bullet weights and guess what? As the release agent wears off, your bullet weith changes.

I try to get by without coating the inside of the mold if possible, and then try a light smoking with a match if I get a spot that sticks. I do use the release most of the time on the mold exterior and sprue cutter.

This may sound crazy, but I coat the inside of my lead pot with the Rapine liquid, and even the plunger and nozzle. Your lead stays cleaner longer becuse it doesn't pick up the corrosion crud from the inside of the pot.

Your results may vary....

Ken Hansgen, 11094
09-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Gary, I too am rather fussy re. my bullet weights. I bought some Frankford Arsenal spray and when I used it I noticed the mould was dropping them about 10 grains lighter than when I used the Repine mould release, but still over a considerable range of weights (about + of = 5 grains or more!) I'm sure the temperature of the molten lead and the mould also have something to do with this variablility. Now to test it's effect on accuracy. Haven't tried it on the pot yet--thanks for the tip.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
My bad--that's supposed to be "+ or - 5 grains..."