PDA

View Full Version : rusty barrel

SHARPS4953
07-14-2021, 08:30 PM
I just acquired a potzdam, the barrel is rusty inside, to say the least. Its in fair shape and I think its shootable. Has anyone had any luck with evapo rust or other rust remover poured down the barrel?

Scott Fisher

Ben Nevlezer
07-14-2021, 08:45 PM
For smoothbores try steel wool wrapped around a wire bore brush chucked in a cordless drill. For a really rough bore use a large patch over a brush with a dab of valve grinding compound. Just beware that valve grinding compound is VERY abrasive and will literally grind away metal......

Lou Lou Lou
07-15-2021, 01:44 PM
I recall folks using a brake cylinder hone back in the day

Muley Gil
07-15-2021, 08:33 PM
I have used a shotgun cleaning rod, with an extra extension for long barrels, fitted with a slotted tip. I use folded strips of emery cloth.

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
07-16-2021, 07:08 AM
Supermarkets sell a copper wool pad. you can take pieces of it to get rust out of the barrel. it may take longer but you don't remove metal.
Joe Plakis Jr 00302V
Hampton Legion

Carolina Reb
07-16-2021, 08:52 AM
If you fill the barrel with ATF and let is soak a few days the rust will come out more easily.

Eggman
07-16-2021, 10:58 AM
I'm not an authority on this, but according to information I've received it is neither morally right, nor even technically legal, to stuff ATF agents in a barrel.

Dave Fox
07-16-2021, 04:31 PM
For really rusty barrel, send it to Robert Hoyt for a liner.

Eggman
07-17-2021, 03:58 PM
Be warned about this. Once the Hoyt liner is installed, not only is your rust problem eliminated, but virtually all your excuses for missing the target.

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
07-19-2021, 07:10 PM
Scott First thing to get resolved is removing the breach plug! You need to get it out prior to cleaning.
I used some stuff at home depot called crud cutter and it works very good. Going to test your stamina and resolve. As having it relined that the last resort as most Potsdam's shoot good with a slightly pitted tube. Good luck e-mail me if you get stuck.
Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 1985V
wdsmas@aol.com.

Eggman
07-19-2021, 10:39 PM
Scott First thing to get resolved is removing the breach plug! You need to get it out prior to cleaning.
Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 1985V
wdsmas@aol.com.
No comprede. Elaborate please. Breach plug does not contact the bullet -- has no influence on the flight of the bullet. You can clean/derust that nasty old barrel with that old breach plug sitting back there content in its old haunt and totally oblivious to all occurrences in the nether regions.

Muley Gil
07-19-2021, 10:52 PM
No comprede. Elaborate please. Breach plug does not contact the bullet -- has no influence on the flight of the bullet. You can clean/derust that nasty old barrel with that old breach plug sitting back there content in its old haunt and totally oblivious to all occurrences in the nether regions.

I like to pull the breach plug on occasion to polish it. Coke build-up might cause a cook-off.

Eggman
07-20-2021, 10:20 AM
I like to pull the breach plug on occasion to polish it. Coke build-up might cause a cook-off.
I guess I've been spending too much time in the mushroom patch. What is coke build-up? By the way, I've sworn off Coke since they've declared all us white guys evil b____tards.

Lou Lou Lou
07-20-2021, 11:14 AM
Coke refers to the carbon build up often found when removing the breechplug

Jim_Burgess_2078V
07-20-2021, 12:30 PM
I pump hot, soapy water through my barrel with a patch on a good fitting cleaning rod jag at the end of the day. Yes, musket disassembly is required to get the breech end of the barrel in the bucket of water. The dry patches that follow come out spotless and can be reused. There is no coke on my breechplug and need to pull it. If you have ever experienced a fouled weapon or have to battle coke build-up, you may want to reconsider how you clean your firearms.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Maillemaker
07-20-2021, 04:44 PM
For my muskets, I use a breech scraper attachment to scrape the breech face.

But on my Pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock, it has a patent breech. Worse, the touch hole liner intrudes into the patent breech bore, so I can't even use a smaller diameter scraper to get down in there.

I can't really unship the barrel as it is pinned in the stock.

I have discovered that by plugging the touch hole with a toothpick, pouring some water into the barrel, and then plunging the patent breech with a small bore mop it comes out spotless with no need for either unshipping the barrel, removing the touch hole liner, or using a breech scraper.

So I feel now like as long as you clean thouroughly after each shoot the breech scraper is probably unnecessary.

Steve

michael noble
07-21-2021, 07:28 AM
I used white vinegar, works great. First I brush it out good with a bronze brush then a patch soaked in white vinegar. And just keep going with the soaked patches. It does take a white, but eventually they usually clean up. I have gotten a couple that were rusted pretty bad, but was able to clean them up and shoot them. They shot really great.