PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap or TRS?

Capnball
06-15-2021, 06:41 AM
Still gathering parts for my Harper's Ferry type F Mississippi build. Got a couple more orders to make. I'm going to be getting a few parts from The Rifle Shoppe, and I was wondering if any of you had experiences with their military stocks vs Dunlap's. I've read lots of good on here about Dunlap's stocks, and they're supposed to be extremely close to the originals. I don't mind fitting parts, and I'm sure I'll do plenty of that. But I'd just as soon not do a lot of reshaping. I've also heard that both Dunlap and TRS can be slow to deal with, so if any of you already have a stock that you're not going to use I'm interested.

Kevin Tinny
06-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Hello, CapandBall:

I was told by Wayne Dunlap over two years ago that he was taking final orders for his stocks. Unless something might be left in inventory, which I doubt for MS's, all Wayne's MS stocks orders were filled well over a year ago, and there will be no more from him.

Lodgewood, Tom Nixon and one other divided the final batch of MS stocks.

So, might check with David or Tom.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

Ron The Old Reb
06-15-2021, 09:17 AM
Good luck with The Rifle Shop some times it takes for ever to get parts from them.

Capnball
06-15-2021, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Allan C.
06-17-2021, 04:02 PM
Still gathering parts for my Harper's Ferry type F Mississippi build. Got a couple more orders to make. I'm going to be getting a few parts from The Rifle Shoppe, and I was wondering if any of you had experiences with their military stocks vs Dunlap's. I've read lots of good on here about Dunlap's stocks, and they're supposed to be extremely close to the originals. I don't mind fitting parts, and I'm sure I'll do plenty of that. But I'd just as soon not do a lot of reshaping. I've also heard that both Dunlap and TRS can be slow to deal with, so if any of you already have a stock that you're not going to use I'm interested.

I have a Dunlap Miss. Stock. I've had it approx. 12/15 years. I'm not going to use it. It is marked $260.00 so I'm sure that's what I paid.

I can send pic's if interested. Price would be $260,00 + shipping. I may have some of the other parts you need.

Capnball
06-17-2021, 09:19 PM
I have a Dunlap Miss. Stock. I've had it approx. 12/15 years. I'm not going to use it. It is marked $260.00 so I'm sure that's what I paid.

I can send pic's if interested. Price would be $260,00 + shipping. I may have some of the other parts you need.

Dang! I got ahold of Dunlap again, and purchased a stock this morning! I also purchased the rest of the parts I needed from various folks and websites- except for a set of patchbox screws. I did get some Garand buttplate screws that are super close and will get me by for now. Thanks anyhow!

Capnball
06-17-2021, 09:26 PM
Hello, CapandBall:

I was told by Wayne Dunlap over two years ago that he was taking final orders for his stocks. Unless something might be left in inventory, which I doubt for MS's, all Wayne's MS stocks orders were filled well over a year ago, and there will be no more from him.

Lodgewood, Tom Nixon and one other divided the final batch of MS stocks.

So, might check with David or Tom.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

So, I talked to David at Lodgewood this morning, and he was very helpful. He said it was his impression that The Rifle Shoppe was doing much better on turnaround times (especially on in-stock items) now that they've completed their recent move. He highly recommended their parts, but recommended I hold out for a Dunlap stock. He loves Dunlap's stocks. On that, he said it was his impression that Dunlap was still doing stocks, despite having threatened to get out of it 2 years ago, and that I should keep bugging them until I got one. I called Dunlap back and got my stock on the way!

Kevin Tinny
06-18-2021, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Jordan, for digging deeper:

Good news:

I spoke this AM with Dan at Dunlap Woodcrafts. Wayne was on vacation. Dan shared that Wayne's previous decision to stop the production of gunstocks was correct.
Dan said they have found a solution to the inletting aspect and have resumed accepting orders for some, not all stocks, so best to call first. Dan also said they are seeing walnut availability issues.

Smiles,
Kevin Tinny

Maillemaker
06-18-2021, 05:15 PM
A shame to see these crafts pass out of the world.

Steve

geezmo
12-30-2023, 04:04 PM

I know it?s a long shot but did you ever sell this stock? I didn?t see any posts where it sold on this site.

Thanks,
Barry S.

Lou Lou Lou
12-30-2023, 05:45 PM
Geezmo
just learned that Dunlop got someone to start making musket stocks for him.
might be helpful

geezmo
12-30-2023, 05:55 PM
Lou,

Thanks a lot for the info. If I don?t hear from Alan shortly I will get in touch with Dunlop.

BS

John Holland
12-31-2023, 05:43 PM
As I understand it the business has been sold and is in new hands. Keeping the name was a matter of established product name recognition.