PDA

View Full Version : Wingless caps

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I've been getting a lot of fouling lately, after shooing several shots. I'm thinking it's due to these wingless caps I've begun using. I'm also noticing a lot more fire around the cap when I'm just snapping caps. Is anybody else having fouling problems since using these caps?

Tom Magno, 9269V
06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
I've been using the RWS wingless caps since they first came out and have never had any issues - the point of impact is the same as the 4-wing caps, no changes at all. The only 'troublesome' part of using them is that they sometimes 'nest together' in my cap pouch and I pull more than one at a time. Not really a big deal, they come apart easily. They are about $20 less/1000 than the RWS 4-wing type, that is really my only motivation for using them. Long answer to your short question... but no, no fouling issues due to these caps.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Tom,
The wingless seem to split more easily than the winged. That is why I have gone to them in my Sharp's. That is also why you see more fouling around the base of your nipple. I have been using them for practice for 2 or 3 years and they work interchangeably with the winged for me; I still can't hit a bull in the a** with a board!

Gary B
06-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I had a suttler tell me the wingless were hotter than the winged RWS, I have not seen evidence of this. Anyone else seen evidence of this ??
Gary B.

Dominic Infante, 8359V
06-02-2010, 11:52 AM
A suttler also told me at Nationals that the German Wingless are hotter (could be we talked to the same suttler). I think the wingless might be hotter. I have been using them for practice for over a year and do not believe I have had a misfire during that time. I cannot say the same for the winged, which I use at skirmishes. At least two or three times every skirmish it seems I have a misfire with my Sharps (but never with musket). Of course, several seconds are then wasted in re-capping and that could be very meaningful in a close contest. So, I am thinking of switching to the wingless for carbine at least. The several thousand winged caps that I have may get demoted to practice.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
By fouling, I meant inside the barrel--it gets more and more difficult to seat the bullet. Now I'm wondering if I got a bad lot of powder. The lube hasn't changed. Yes, I am seeing quite a bit of fouling around the nipple, too--but wasn't so worried about that. BTW, in the Winchester Courthouse Museum is a batch of original wingless caps.

le piaf
06-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Hello , I use (with special nipples) wingless caps on my rifles and Muskets (Enfield PH and Original Zouave ) , My prefered caps are the RWS 1075+ in red boxes ( it is the 1075 improved for rifle).
In my mind ,I think that my groups at 100 meters are better, and I don't be worried by fouling.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-04-2010, 10:07 AM
The wingless caps we get here come in an orange box (altho' the cans of 100 are red) and are marked "No. 1081 FL."

le piaf
06-05-2010, 03:02 AM
In Europe 1081FL are like unknown , we have only the four wings 1081 in black plastic boxes of 200 pieces, they are not sale in all gunshops.
They are more expensive than the 1075+ (with the saved money I can get a free glass of beer every two years :wink: ).
The 1075+ give a more strong flash and ignite very well the heavy load of black powder.

kowdok
06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I have gone to the wingless caps on my mod. 1 Maynard. Was using CCI and got tired of picking pieces of cap out of my forehead and it was hard to see with the blood running down my face. Went to the wingless and have not had that problem since and have not had a misfire. CCI's are not a problem with the musket because of the cup on the hammer that catches the cap.

Michael Bodner
06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Don't you mean Mooooooo-nard???

See y'all in Statesville, in August!!