PDA

View Full Version : 1842 Springfield or 1853 Enfield?

54thGeorgia
05-24-2021, 11:53 PM
I am considering getting into NSSA, and I?m getting back into reenacting, the the reenacting unit I portray was mostly issued the 42 and the 53. My question is which of the two are better to start out with in the NSSA?

After re-reading the information on the 1st Tennessee, they were initially issued 55 Springfields as well as cadet rifles, that they carried until the end of the war, from my understanding they were issued Enfields sometime during the Atlanta Campaign, theres even mention 61 Springfields, but I did not see where they where issued the 1842s.

Muley Gil
05-25-2021, 01:00 AM
I would go with the 1853 Enfield. Every unit fields a musket team, but not all have a smoothbore team.

Hal
05-25-2021, 06:28 AM
I agree and for the same reasons.

Carolina Reb
05-25-2021, 07:46 AM
You can find rifled M-1842s, but they are not the best musket to start skirmishing with. While very accurate, they kick about like 3" magnums in a light 12 gauge shotgun. Most Enfields shoot high at 50 and 100 yards. Since you will probably be using the same musket for reenacting and skirmishing, changing the front sight is not an option (since the bayonet won't fit over a tall enough front sight). You will need to get use to burying the front sight blade at the bottom of the rear sight V, and still holding under the targets. This can be done, but it takes a good bit of range time to work out the sight picture. If you are going Confederate, an option might be to get a P-58/60 rifle. After 1862, flank companies were issued rifles. They are easier to handle in open order skirmishing. Since rifles used saber bayonets, a tall front sight is no problem for reenacting.

Don't let the above comments discourage you. You can break targets with either musket, just like our ancestors did.

Maillemaker
05-25-2021, 04:30 PM
I love shooting smoothbore, so if we are talking about a smoothbore 1842, you could do that. If it's rifled, it will be easier and cheaper to shoot a P53 and they both are used in the same category so you'd be better off with the P53.

Check with the region and team you might shoot with. In our region (Deep South), I'm pretty sure just about every skirmish for the last decade has had a smoothbore match. I like SB because you can easily see the bullet holes at 25 and even 50 yards. Rifled guns are shot at 50 and 100.

Steve

Ken Cole
05-25-2021, 06:27 PM
When I started a few years ago, I was planning on using a rifled 42... didn't really work out that great. I wasn't casting my own, so the rounds I was using was way undersized for the stock barrel. I wound up getting a Whitacre barrel with a new rear sight and had Lodgewood put a historically correct blade on the front band. To this day, I'm still trying to work out an accurate load for it. Now, it's a labor of love, just because....

For me, the right answer was an 1855 Rifle that had more years on the line than I did and already knew what it liked. I'd imagine there is a broken in Enfield out there with a pet load waiting for a new home...that would be what I would suggest.

54thGeorgia
05-25-2021, 07:56 PM
Is Pedersoli worth the extra price over a Chiappa?

Mike McDaniel
05-25-2021, 08:03 PM
If your budget will only extend to one gun, get the P-53. English-made Parker-Hale by preference, Pedersoli by second pick.

Now, if you can swing two guns, I'd get a M1842 for reenacting and smoothbore shooting, and a two-band rifle for Skirmish use. The three-band rifle-muskets are not nearly as user-friendly.

54thGeorgia
05-25-2021, 08:57 PM
After re-reading the information on the 1st Tennessee, they were initially issued ?55 Springfields as well as cadet rifles, that they carried until the end of the war, from my understanding they were issued Enfield?s sometime during the Atlanta Campaign, there?s even mention ?61 Springfields, but I did not see where they where issued the 1842?s.

I think I?m going to get the Enfield, now for 2 band vs 3 band. I think 3 band is required for reenacting though

Maillemaker
05-25-2021, 11:32 PM
I have a Pedersoli P58. It is a 3-digit serial number gun - one of the earliest production guns when they took over the Civil War line from Euroarms. It still has some Euroarms parts in it they were using up. Had the old cast Euroarms rear sight.

I later got a P53 and they were in full swing with in-house made parts. Pedersoli makes good locks.

My 1842 is Armisport and I like it also, but I have had a problem with soft sear springs.

Steve

Muley Gil
05-25-2021, 11:44 PM
Some reenactment units require you to use a three band rifle musket. The 1853 is the safe choice for use in both hobbies.

Maillemaker
05-26-2021, 10:44 AM
I shoot a 3-bander in competition. It's an old Euroarms P53 with Dan Whitacre barrel. Very accurate. Progressive-depth rifling.

Steve

Muley Gil
05-26-2021, 10:58 AM
"The three-band rifle-muskets are not nearly as user-friendly."

​One of the best shots on my team uses a 3 band Enfield. He likes the longer sight radius.