PDA

View Full Version : Smith carbine trigger job

Yakiman
05-07-2021, 08:55 PM
My newly acquired Pietta Smith carbine has a horrendous trigger pull. Anyone know of someone close to central Ohio who works on these?

Harry Gaul
05-07-2021, 09:17 PM
If you are talking Smith, the go to guy right now is Larry Flees.

Harry in Pa.
03626v

Maillemaker
05-07-2021, 09:47 PM
I second Larry Flees. 231-342-0821

Yakiman
05-07-2021, 11:24 PM
If you are talking Smith, the go to guy right now is Larry Flees.

Harry in Pa.
03626v

Should have known, he did the work on my Sharps. Will give him a call.

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
05-08-2021, 07:43 AM
Some of the sutlers sell a wire Smith trigger spring that takes the trigger pull down to 4 or 5 pounds.
You might want to try that first.
Joe Plakis Jr
Hamptons Legion

Kevin Tinny
05-08-2021, 08:52 AM
Tx, Joe:

The "Hood" Smith carbine coil trigger spring, which performs as you described, was out of stock for a couple years. A sutler that carried them declined to have them made.

With the help of PJ Pat Kelly, who had an original Hood spring, high quality, music wire professionally spring shop made copies are now available from "Big Grit", a member. This fix worked well in my Smith which has remained at 3.25# (NRA WEIGHTS) for several hundred shots.

I suggest you contact Big Grit via PM. Thanks.

Kevin Tinny

Big Grit
05-09-2021, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the interest. I had a few made from a sample Kevin sent me at a local spring manufacturer. I am asking $5 plus shipping. Paul Gritmacker email paulgrit52@gmail.com

CAGerringer
05-09-2021, 09:01 PM
That's a GREAT PRICE, Paul!
I was amazed at how the replacement spring helped my Smith.
Respectfully,
Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

Yakiman
05-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the interest. I had a few made from a sample Kevin sent me at a local spring manufacturer. I am asking $5 plus shipping. Paul Gritmacker email paulgrit52@gmail.com

Got the springs today. 10 minute job and the problem is fixed. Mail coming your way.

Big Grit
05-15-2021, 07:37 PM
Glad it went so easy. I don't know what you ended up with for a trigger pull, but if you want to go lighter you can easily bend the spring leg against the trigger.

musketnut
05-15-2021, 07:47 PM
Paul, if you have any springs left I would be interested.

Thank you!

Glad it went so easy. I don't know what you ended up with for a trigger pull, but if you want to go lighter you can easily bend the spring leg against the trigger.

Kevin Tinny
05-15-2021, 09:08 PM
Hello:

Paul and I learned the following while bending the trigger leg of the coil:

There can be small differences in the outer radius of Smith carbine tumblers.

The lower leg of the Hood coil spring fits almost against some tumblers.

The leg that runs off the coil and presses against the trigger has a slight bend about half way down.

If that leg is bent from the upper area above the slight bend, when assembled and cocked, the lower section may contact the tumbler and increase the pull. So bend that leg only at the slight bend about half way down.

Kevin Tinny

Yakiman
05-15-2021, 09:31 PM
Just for information, here are the stock trigger spring and the coil spring side by side.

Maillemaker
05-31-2021, 03:09 PM
I just installed my Big Grit spring. Went from 9 pounds to 7 pounds.

I notice that if you push the spring down the axle until the top hook bottoms out in the receiver, then the leg that presses against the trigger drops down below the tumbler and so does not touch it (on mine).

I'm going to have to do some leg bending to bring the weight down more.

Once I removed the trigger, the original spring slid right off the axle. But the new coil spring was pressing against the tumbler on install, making it much more difficult to get started over the axle. I hope I can get it out without having to remove the tumbler.

Steve

RaccoonRough
08-21-2023, 10:14 AM

Sent you an email.
Thanks

Tim Iannuzzi
03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
I just bought an original Smith this weekend. I have a Pietta Smith with the "Hood" spring in it. Just transferred that to the original Smith and the trigger pull went from north of 15 down to just under 5lbs. I just sent payment to Paul for a couple more of them.

Kevin Tinny
03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Hello:
Just for clarification, please:
The original Smith carbine trigger spring is a "gull wing" double wing configuration, hence "gull".
The after market coil wire version was created many years ago by a member named Hood, hence "Hood coil spring".
Again, we are grateful to Big Grit for finding a nearby spring shop that did us a big favor. Smiles.
Edited for typo's. JKT
Kevin Tinny