PDA

View Full Version : Smith was accurate then it wasn't

Yakiman
04-27-2021, 02:18 PM
New to me Smith carbine, first time at the range today. Shooting at 25 yds off a bench - was hitting a bit high and a bit to the right and compensating for that was giving me fairly decent accuracy. I put about 20 rounds through it, maybe a bit more and took a short break, posted a new target and from then on I couldn't even keep it on paper let alone hit the center. What happened? There was no change in load or caps.

henrymstr
04-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Clean it every 10 or so rds

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Carolina Reb
04-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Does your bullet have big enough grease grooves? Try a few different bullet lubes.

Yakiman
04-27-2021, 04:43 PM
Does your bullet have big enough grease grooves? Try a few different bullet lubes.

I'm using the Lyman 518145 - three grooves with a beeswax/crisco mix. Shot fine to begin with. Just got done cleaning it and I haven't had this much trouble cleaning any muzzleloader in the past.

Hal
04-27-2021, 04:54 PM
Did your sights get loose? Pivot bolt tight? Locking up tight?

pappy
04-27-2021, 05:05 PM
check your lead had to switch to hard lead to keep it from leading up, shot great after that.

Yakiman
04-27-2021, 05:15 PM
Did your sights get loose? Pivot bolt tight? Locking up tight?

No, sights are tight. The gun is in new condition and locks up so tight it's hard to open with finger pressure. I was shooting approx 35 gr of FFG using a combination of red and black tubes and fired a total of 48 rounds with about 30 of those before the accuracy went to hell.

Eggman
04-27-2021, 05:38 PM
Yeah it's the old barrel crud conundrum. The guys are providing good alternate solutions. Basically either clean every 10 or so or go to max lube with deep groove bullet. I like the very low cost Lee .515.

Maillemaker
04-27-2021, 07:54 PM
I am brand new to Smith shooting. But when doing load workups with the red rubber Yore tubes vs. the hard black plastic tubes, I found the black tubes gave superior accuracy. I believe this is due to the rigid black tubes holding the bullets more perfectly aligned with the bore, whereas the soft rubber tubes allow the bullets to pitch at whatever angle you choose to set them at.

I do notice that on my Pietta Smith and my just-aquired original Smith the grooves look very shallow compared to say my Pedersoli Sharps.

So, perhaps it is more susceptible to fouling?

Steve

John Bly
04-27-2021, 08:30 PM
The 518145 has fairly shallow grease grooves. A 515139 may be better as it carries more lube. I know they look the same but they are different. Try different lubes. SPG is a good one, so is DGL.

mike davenport
04-28-2021, 09:09 AM
the key to sustained fire with a BP arm is keeping the fouling soft. The lube must mix with the fouling and keep the residue from forming a crust. Natural products seem to do this best but petro based will also work to some extent. Bees wax and pure tallow ( mutton, beef, bear) work best in that order. You can soften the lube with olive oil and other natural oils also.

The bullet you select must have a proper amount of grease grooves and or wiping groves to assist in the delivery of the lube and removal of the fouling. most of the bullets that are used in thee arms are rather short with multiple grooves to carry grease/lube. My favorite is a 509 Eley ( a very old Ideal mold) for small bored barrels and Lyman 515139 for the rest.

one other item to check would be the Nipple or cone. Just a small amount of wear can have a huge impact on accuracy. the top strap screw is also key to the overall function as well as the but screw that attaches to the frame.
attention to all of these should allow you to get back in the 10 ring.
Mike
DSR

Eggman
04-28-2021, 10:50 AM
Lens Lube Lens Lube Lens Lube --- stays soft while everyone else's is getting hard.

Yakiman
04-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Lens Lube Lens Lube Lens Lube --- stays soft while everyone else's is getting hard.
What is Lens Lube? (and yes I tried a search)

Lou Lou Lou
04-28-2021, 07:09 PM
Lube developed by Len Estep currently available from Rebel trading post. Great stuff

Yakiman
04-28-2021, 07:21 PM
Lube developed by Len Estep currently available from Rebel trading post. Great stuff
Is there a website. All I see is a Dixie Rebel FB page.

Carolina Reb
04-28-2021, 08:21 PM
Northeast Trade in Muncy Pa., https://www.northeasttradeco.com/

Kevin Tinny
04-29-2021, 07:05 AM
Hello:

Related to Mary Lou Scoone, 410-242-4050 at Rebel Trading Post,
is a previously shared here and listed in THE SKIRMISH LINE family contact for Len's Lube: Robbie West, 1st Reg VA Vol's, 757-508-3007.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny