PDA

View Full Version : Smith Carbines

lwinstoniii
04-06-2021, 11:45 PM
I had a discussion with someone recently and they spoke negatively of the smith carbine. No specifics really.. Smith Carbines seem like a pretty good system all things considered. Is there a general dislike of these and why?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maillemaker
04-07-2021, 01:02 AM
Well, I'm new to the Smith party - I picked up one about 6 months ago. It's a Pietta. It had a drill bit broken off in the fire channel from when it was being drilled through the cleanout screw at the factory. I sent it to Larry Flees to do his usual awesome gunsmithing work.

Shoots very accurately with 33 grains 3F Goex and the rigid black plastic tubes, using the Eras Gone Smith bullet. I like the handling and the sights. I think I prefer it to my Sharps. However, now that I think I am close to unlocking the secrets of accuracy in the Sharps, I may change my mind. :)

Anyway, I really like the design of the Smith. Very easy to make ammo for it, very easy to load and shoot, and quite accurate. I plan on buying an original soon.

Steve

ms3635v
04-07-2021, 06:38 AM
Like all firearms used in competition, the firearm selected must be comfortable to the shooter. I would recommend shouldering the different types of carbines and determine which is the most comfortable for you. The Smith carbine is a very accurate carbine. They are also widely used in competition. I prefer shooting my original Smith, although the Pietta Smith does an acceptable job. The only problem that I can see with the Pietta is the price if you are buying a new one. The cost has risen steadily over the years and I would say that if I was inclined to buy a Smith I would buy an original with a decent bore, and with the correct load will never disappoint you in competition. Just my two sense.

Hal
04-07-2021, 07:20 AM
I've never heard anyone bad mouth the Smith. They are one of the most common carbines on the line where we skirmish. I shoot an original one. It's been abused on the outside, but its bore looks brand new. Best shooter I got.

I have other carbines that I like better due to their unique mechanical features, but so far, I've not gotten any of them to shoot as well as my Smith.

Lou Lou Lou
04-07-2021, 08:18 AM
As Mike and others have said, try different guns. The original smiths are actually less expensive than repros if you look around. Plus, the quality is better. All originals can be made to shoot well

musketnut
04-07-2021, 07:49 PM
Lou,

(Sorry to hijack this thread) what do mean specifically about originals being made to shoot well. What specifically? I have not shot my original smith yet. I loved my old navy arms one though.

As Mike and others have said, try different guns. The original smiths are actually less expensive than repros if you look around. Plus, the quality is better. All originals can be made to shoot well

Dave Fox
04-12-2021, 08:35 AM
50 yards a couple months ago with an original I'm just working up....

lwinstoniii
04-12-2021, 09:05 AM
50 yards a couple months ago with an original I'm just working up....Nice group

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Muley Gil
04-12-2021, 11:05 AM
Will the brass tubes fit the originals without alteration?

Lou Lou Lou
04-12-2021, 03:04 PM
Gil I have used alum and brass tubes in 4 different orig, no problem.

musket nut
the orig have fewer issues than the repros. Many repros suffer from issues with a hollow bolster. A poorly shaped tumbler etc. pm me if you wish to discuss