PDA

View Full Version : Henry stock

Mansionyac
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Gents, would I need special approval to use a cocobolo stock on my Henry? Is it even legal for N-SSA competition? I scanned the rules but I didn't see anything relevant. Thanks.

John Holland
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Mansionyac,

If I understand your request, you want to replace the stock on your Henry with another stock of a different type wood. As long as the replacement stock has the same dimensions, ie. length of pull, drop in stock, etc., and it is actually wood (no synthetic materials), there is no problem. BUT, you will be required to submit the arm to the Small Arms Committee for an Individual Approval to verify the replacement stock is correct.

Sincerely,
John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Blair
08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Mansionyac,

Be careful Cocobolo is classed as a Highly toxic wood. Some people are more alergic to it than others.
Blair

David Disher 12143
08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow.....I would like to see that when its finished. I have worked with that species, and it is truly a beautiful wood...a bit soft and therefore delicate to shape, but the end product could be magnificent.

ddisher
110th OVI

David Disher 12143
08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Wow.....I would like to see that when its finished. I have worked with that species, and it is truly a beautiful wood...a bit soft and therefore delicate to shape, but the end product could be magnificent.

ddisher
110th OVI

Whoops....meant to say a bit hard.

ddisher

John Holland
08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Time for another clarification! The question came in as an email, but the subject and answer require sharing with everyone. It is in regards to a stock type, made out of wood, that we do not want to see, and that is a laminated stock. You all know the types, like the ones that are found on some of the Russian Type 44 Carbines, etc. Yes, they are a very stable, virtually indestructable stock design, but not to be used for our purposes.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee