PDA

View Full Version : Remington Advice

hobbler
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
To all:
Always been a 31, 36 and 44 Colt shooter. I'm new to Remington revolvers.
Found a new Pietta 1858 44. It shoots accurately. But, it doesn't want to be cocked after the first shot. Rotating the cylinder is difficult and must be done by hand.
Pull the cylinder to reload and put in back in and everything works great. Fire it once and it doesn't turn. Back to square one.
So, my suspicion is that just very little fouling makes the cylinder lock up.

What's the cure? A lube that works well on the pin and at the rear of the cylinder? Super duper FP-10 is not working.
Increasing the cylinder to barrel gap? Oh no!

Fellas, any Remington experts, helpful hints, please let me know what you think.
Thanks.

le piaf
05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Hello , Emmert's lube formula with olive oil works fine , lube the cylinder rod with will avoid the problem.

05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Are you sure the problem isn't that the balls are moving to the front of the chambers? If your ball size isn't tight enough in the chamber, the recoil can cause them to move up to the front of chamber mouth and protrude, which will prevent the cylinder from rotating.

hobbler
05-25-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm using beeswax / olive oil lube in front of the balls. Will try it on the center pin.
And, the balls aren't moving.
:cry:

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Mine gets hard or impossible to turn when a blown cap gets in the works--but you'd certainly notice that. Still, I find it hard to believe this is due to a cylinder pin needing lube.!

hobbler
05-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Everything functions perfectly until you touch it off. Every time, every shot, it locks up. This isn't cap chunks. Has to be fouling. I'm gonna do some experiments and see exactly what the deal is. The barrel to cylinder gap is tight. Perhaps it is the gap and the lube and the powder quality (varies sometimes as well). Ah, what would life be without puzzles!

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-26-2010, 08:12 AM
I think you're on the right track suspecting the barrel to cylinder gap. Better get a qualified pistolsmith to check that.

le piaf
05-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Hello , I answer too quickly after a bad translation , to lube the rod help if you want shot two or more cylinder .
If you cylinder is blocked at the second shot , are you sure that your bullets are enough pushed in the cylinder , maybe also the bullet diameter is too little , try .454 or .457 RB.
Another thing , in the remington , fired caps fall down easily and block the mecanism , Polish internal parts and deburr the internal frame help greatfully the elevator to do his job .
Apologize for my poor english .

Blair
05-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Hobbler,

The dragging you are experiencing may not be from the cylinder pin area at all.
Do you have a wear line on your cylinder?
This would be from the bolt stop dragging on the cylinder between the bolt stop notches.
With a cap on the nipple, this maybe adding just enough thickness to keep the hammer from moving forward enough to allow the cylinder bolt stop to engage the cam on the hammer.
Just a suggestion,
Blair