PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Lorenz nipple removal

threepdr
03-15-2021, 01:25 PM
The nipple on my Pedersoli Lorenz is a bear to remove after a shooting session. I goes in OK, but stiff, when it is clean, but I have to soak it in ballistrol and then use a hammer on the nipple wrench to tap it out if it has been fired. I've never had any gun with this problem before.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm considering sending the barrel to a gun smith and have it retapped to take a standard US musket nipple.

Charlie Hahn
03-15-2021, 01:29 PM
Is it possible you have a 5/16 24 in a metric hole? The pitch difference is only .0014 and they can be forced together.

Charlie Hahn
410-627-4726

threepdr
03-15-2021, 01:36 PM
Charlie,

It is the factory nipple that came on the rifle from Pedersoli. I guess it is not impossible that they put the wrong one on. I put in the spare nipple that came with gun. I'll see if it has the same issue.

Is it possible you have a 5/16 24 in a metric hole? The pitch difference is only .0014 and they can be forced together.

Charlie Hahn
410-627-4726

Don Dixon
03-15-2021, 08:44 PM
Wrap it in Teflon pipe tape. It will come right out.

Occupied Maryland
03-15-2021, 08:50 PM
Have you tried a couple layers of Teflon plumbers tape on the nipple?

ms3635v
03-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Try putting anti-seize on the threads.

Maillemaker
03-16-2021, 09:24 AM
I used to use teflon tape, but found the anti-sieze to be much less hassle and it works just as well. I always had a hard time wrapping that tiny little thing in tape.

Steve

Kevin Tinny
03-16-2021, 09:58 AM
Hello:

Second Steve on anti-seize over TEFLON tape.

Found that BOSTIK NEVER-SEEZ in MARINE, HIGH-TEMP version is great.
Many varities. This one is best for high heat and salty situations.
Worth the effort to locate a small can. Never let me down in over 50 years.
VR/ Kevin

RangerFrog
03-16-2021, 12:15 PM
I just went to a local Auto Parts place. The silvery stuff they sell to use on exhaust manifold bolts is cheap and my stuck nipple problem disappeared. I now use it on my musket, carbine and revolver nipples, and as long as I remember to use it every time () I?ve never had a problem.

Froggie

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
03-16-2021, 03:22 PM
For all of you who use Teflon tape on nipples & breech plugs. Teflon migrates (starts to melt and moves at 450 degrees F) over a period of time it will be gone and you have the same problem. Also Teflon on pipe threads is NOT used as a seal. It is a lubricant that allows you to tighten the threads together so they are jammed together tighter than if it were bare thread to bare thread. If you want to know how good Teflon tape is ask someone who works with hydraulics. It ain't that good. Never seize is what you want for any area that is exposed to the burning powder.

Don Dixon
03-16-2021, 06:18 PM
For all of you who use Teflon tape on nipples & breech plugs. Teflon migrates (starts to melt and moves at 450 degrees F) over a period of time it will be gone and you have the same problem. Also Teflon on pipe threads is NOT used as a seal. It is a lubricant that allows you to tighten the threads together so they are jammed together tighter than if it were bare thread to bare thread. If you want to know how good Teflon tape is ask someone who works with hydraulics. It ain't that good. Never seize is what you want for any area that is exposed to the burning powder.

I clean my guns thoroughly after every time I shoot them, including removing and cleaning the nipples. Under those conditions I have never had a problem using Teflon tape The tape hasn't melted and the nipples come out easily. Before I started using Teflon tape I used a good anti-seize compound, which I still use on the cylinder pins of my revolvers rather than lubricant. It makes the cylinder pins much easier to remove after a lengthy practice session. Either solution will work if you clean after every shooting session, I've just found the tape more convenient.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Occupied Maryland
03-16-2021, 09:37 PM
I just take a wire bore brush to the nipple for removing the Teflon remnants . I think a lot of plumbers/gas fitters might disagree about Teflon tape not sealing. I use Anti-Seize on lug nuts and always thought it messy, JMHO.

Hal
03-17-2021, 07:01 AM
I use anti-seize, I don't remember where I got it, but I found a small tube of it rather than a can with a brush in the lid. It is aluminum based. I would have preferred copper, but like I said, this was available in a convenient small tube that fits nicely in my tackle box style cleaning box.

Maillemaker
03-17-2021, 09:52 AM
This is the stuff I use:

https://i.imgur.com/CJNmBLDl.jpg

It's coppery in color.

I used Teflon tape and it worked fine also. I always cleaned after every shoot and remnants of the tape were still there but it was a pain to remove from the threads as it comes off in stringy bits. I also found it fiddly to wrap around the tiny threaded part of the nipple. I find the anti-seize much easier to use. A little dab'll do ya! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxBNW5XJI1o) :)

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
03-17-2021, 10:19 AM
www.finehomebuilding.com › 2009/03/05 › whats-the
Mar 05, 2009 · Couple thoughts on this: teflon tape is sold/marketed as a pipe joint sealant. What is teflon? a lubricant! it allows pipe joints to be tightened to a leak resistant point because it lubricates the operation, as stated it may also fill void in the thread to prevent leakage. Look at a disassembled teflon joint. where is the tape? Mostly not there.

And if you check Teflon does start to melt (becomes a little fluid & moves around 450 degrees F).

Occupied Maryland
03-18-2021, 08:35 AM
www.finehomebuilding.com › 2009/03/05 › whats-the
Mar 05, 2009 · Couple thoughts on this: teflon tape is sold/marketed as a pipe joint sealant. What is teflon? a lubricant! it allows pipe joints to be tightened to a leak resistant point because it lubricates the operation, as stated it may also fill void in the thread to prevent leakage. Look at a disassembled teflon joint. where is the tape? Mostly not there.

And if you check Teflon does start to melt (becomes a little fluid & moves around 450 degrees F).

Respectively disagree, I'm a retired Plumber/Gas fitter and FAA licensed aircraft mechanic to boot so I've sealed a few joints in my time. Smoked a few too;)

Eggman
03-18-2021, 09:55 AM
Before I started using Teflon tape I used a good anti-seize compound, which I still use on the cylinder pins of my revolvers rather than lubricant. It makes the cylinder pins much easier to remove after a lengthy practice session.
For me this thread danced along the fringes of rational discussion. This statement slipped off the edge. Photos of cylinder pin removal please.

Maillemaker
03-18-2021, 01:12 PM
Photos of cylinder pin removal please.

I think he's talking about the shaft the cylinder spins on. He's talking about using it to grease the arbor.

Steve

Eggman
03-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Yeah have trouble getting my mind around things these days. On the cylinder pin (arbor, center shaft) thing, could not relate --- Colts never come out; Remington, Rogers & Spencer slide right out. Only use a dab of oil on the latter.
On the nipples -- never had one that didn't fit the last 48 years. Can't the nipple seat be resized/fleshed out using a right sized die????

Hal
03-18-2021, 04:14 PM
or the pin on a Remington that doesn't actually get "Removed", but certainly gets slid forward a good distance.

Splitting hairs........

Eggman
03-18-2021, 05:58 PM
Yeah about 20 years since I had mine. Wandered into another minefield. Got to add though -- LOVE the ROgers and Spencer. Ultimate cap 'n ball.