PDA

View Full Version : Original Smith Carbine for sale

relichunter
03-10-2021, 10:19 AM
I have a very nice original Cavalry model Smith carbine that apparently has been owned by a skirmisher. I purchased this at an estate sale in Chester VA. The barrel appears to have been professionally replaced as it and has an Excellent bore , light trigger pull, tight hinge, nice finish, good wood. The stock has an old crack repair that is solid. Excellent shooter as it is. See photos for details. Better than a repo for sure. $1150.00 Text or call Terry 8 0 4 7 1 2 3 2 0 3. Thanks

ms3635v
03-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Has the barrel been relined?

relichunter
03-10-2021, 11:09 AM
No it looks original

mike davenport
03-10-2021, 05:02 PM
that is either a Harmon or a Lane barrel i suspect- the Smith carbine was originally manufactured with a 3 land and groove barrel.
mike
DSR

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Can you verify that the butt stock has not been replaced and is an original? I ask because the wood sticks up beyond the metal receiver like a Yeck replacement would. Thanks

relichunter
03-10-2021, 10:06 PM
I think it?s original, however it has been repaired with replacement wood in that area. I don?t know any history on this gun because I bought it at an estate sale of a civil war collector and his wife was clueless about any of the stuff. It was just a nice lookin Smith.

relichunter
03-10-2021, 10:10 PM
that is either a Harmon or a Lane barrel i suspect- the Smith carbine was originally manufactured with a 3 land and groove barrel.
mike
DSR
Thanks for you input , I am not familiar with those barrels who and when were they made?

mike davenport
03-11-2021, 09:26 PM
Harmon- made by N-SSA Member Jerry Harmon- Jerry made barrels, lock plates, sizers , screws , custom arms and was in my opinion just one heck of a nice guy and skirmisher. I got to know him thru a set of mutual friend, Roger Williams & Bruce Cobb. I would compare the barrels made by Jerry against any ever made for our sport. He also used a lot of Bill Large tubes and breeched them to make "Harmon / Large" units.

Lane- Mann Lane out of Kinston NC made barrels in the 60's and 70's He was a skirmisher with the Dismal Swamp Rangers. He no longer competes and has concentrated on his passion for restoring classic cars.

Kevin Tinny
03-12-2021, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Mike, for going the extra mile:

I usually Search here before asking.

Again, searching LANE produced nothing related to him, possibly because older Forum segments are not included. Based on some other searches for Threads that are vividly recounted by those involved, I suspect that large Forum segments have been saved by past Moderators, but are not easily accessed.

Lou Ruggiero suggested I look in the SAC Approved barrel makers listing.
Lane appears for at least '42's, '55's and Smiths.
So there are many of his barrels somewhere.

Links to old Forum segments so kindly provided a while ago to me by some caring members have not functioned. Sometimes it's back to oral history.

Smiles and a slider soon, i pray.
Kevin Tinny

Dan Mastin
03-12-2021, 04:50 PM
Jensco ought to get honorable mention somewhere in this thread. At some point in the late 80's - early 90's I rehabbed a Smith using his barrel and wood. While not particularly pretty, it shot well, in fact it is still being used by one of my team mates.

relichunter
03-18-2021, 10:42 PM
Harmon- made by N-SSA Member Jerry Harmon- Jerry made barrels, lock plates, sizers , screws , custom arms and was in my opinion just one heck of a nice guy and skirmisher. I got to know him thru a set of mutual friend, Roger Williams & Bruce Cobb. I would compare the barrels made by Jerry against any ever made for our sport. He also used a lot of Bill Large tubes and breeched them to make "Harmon / Large" units.

Lane- Mann Lane out of Kinston NC made barrels in the 60's and 70's He was a skirmisher with the Dismal Swamp Rangers. He no longer competes and has concentrated on his passion for restoring classic cars.

Thanks for the information.