PDA

View Full Version : Musket Nipple

Michael Bodner
03-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Who sells the competition grade METRIC nipples for the Italian Zouaves? Actual size is M8-1.0.

Thanks!

-Boots

Muley Gil
03-06-2021, 11:17 AM
Have you tried here Bootsie?

Nipples - Track of the Wolf (https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/1)

Carolina Reb
03-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Also here: https://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html

marv762
03-06-2021, 11:58 AM
you can also check North east trader, John Dewald

Ron The Old Reb
03-06-2021, 02:29 PM
​I got them at Track of The Wolf about 5 years ago.

Michael Bodner
03-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone! Looks like Track of the Wolf is the go-to place at this time.

BUT...

Can anyone who has bought from Track of the Wolf tell me if the Stainless Steel nipple have the small exit holes that we need or are this huge holes like on the originals?

Thanks!

-Mike

Carolina Reb
03-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Bootsie, ask Dan Whitacre where he gets his. His barrels come with the steel nipples that have the small holes at the bottom.

Eggman
03-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Never seen a big holed nipple from Track (since 1969). To be sure you can whip them a email. They're real friendly.

Eggman
03-09-2021, 11:32 AM
As an aside, myself in cooperation with Ferguson Manufacturing provided Track the standard quarter inch stainless nipple for about 25 years -- all with the tiny exit hole.

Ben Nevlezer
03-09-2021, 05:20 PM
Track of the Wolf is my go to place for nipples. Personally I prefer the hardened steel nipples. I've had 2 of the stainless ones break, between the threads and the shoulder, in 2 different guns.
Just my opinion.

Michael Bodner
03-09-2021, 06:13 PM
As an aside, myself in cooperation with Ferguson Manufacturing provided Track the standard quarter inch stainless nipple for about 25 years -- all with the tiny exit hole.

Eggman,

What do you think about the comment above about the Stainless ones breaking? Is the hole in the regular steel also small?

Thanks!

-Boots

Eggman
03-09-2021, 07:08 PM
Interesting. Never had one fail. Maybe feed this question to Track see if they have any experience like this.

Ben Nevlezer
03-09-2021, 07:32 PM
Maybe it was just a fluke. They were both fairly new, less than half a skirmish season. I purchased them about 2 years ago. I bought 10 each, stainless and hardened steel. I'm just an idiot with an opinion but..... Hear me out for a sec... Stainless nipples should last a VERY long time being that they are so hard. Right? I feel that better isn't always best. I think sometimes stainless, in its many various forms is often to hard. Making it brittle causing breakage.
Disclaimer. I'm no expert. just an idiot stating my opinion based on my personal observations. I will post part 2 of this response in shooting tips.
Ben.

Michael Bodner
03-09-2021, 11:22 PM
No worries Ben...

I'm needing multiple nipples, and I don't want to end up with a pile of meh nipples... Lol

So all feedback is useful.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-10-2021, 09:19 AM
It is very easy to see how one could fail after repeatedly being hit with a hammer face that hits at an angle and not dead on.

Eggman
03-10-2021, 10:34 AM
It is very easy to see how one could fail after repeatedly being hit with a hammer face that hits at an angle and not dead on.
Most interesting quote Bruce. I can pretty much get the jist of it except the part about "very easy to see." To me that hammer coming down on that teeny tiny little bit of nipple edge seems hardly sufficient to discombotulate the whole sheebang.

Eggman
03-10-2021, 10:46 AM
I'm starting to get it Bruce. Referring back to Mr. Liaboe's physics class in 1962, ALL those foot pounds of energy from the hammer and mainspring would be transferred to that tiny little surface. I never knew what he was talking about until now.

Ben Nevlezer
03-10-2021, 06:46 PM
I'm starting to get it Bruce. Referring back to Mr. Liaboe's physics class in 1962, ALL those foot pounds of energy from the hammer and mainspring would be transferred to that tiny little surface. I never knew what he was talking about until now.
That's exactly what I was going to start another post about Eggman! There is alot of energy involved in the whole process. I have to believe that a force in one direction has an equal force in the opposite direction as well. Newton?? So the hammer striking a very hard nipple that has no ability to absorb any of the shock. I have to believe that the force is instantly reversed back into the hammer throughout the entire lock........

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-11-2021, 04:53 PM
If it doesn't hit smack dead on and instead hits it off at any slight angle you are really screwed.

Eggman
03-11-2021, 06:59 PM
a force in one direction has an equal force in the opposite direction as well. Newton??
Gosh I could hardly believe this post. I guess when Irv Newton got caught in the manure spreader it must have made news all over. He certainly was distributed in both directions.

Ben Nevlezer
03-12-2021, 05:52 PM
Gosh I could hardly believe this post. I guess when Irv Newton got caught in the manure spreader it must have made news all over. He certainly was distributed in both directions.
Kinda like the $#it hit the fan I guess. That Irv sure was a smell guy.