PDA

View Full Version : tumbler for yeck smith

tfirth44
05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
i just recently bought a yeck smith and i knew trhere were problems with it when i bought it. i got the main spring i needed but neither a repro or original tumbler will work. does anyone know where i can find one wither its used or new i dont care as long as it works.

Lee Hoffecker
05-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I have one from a Navy Arms Smith Carbine. I don't know if it would work in a Yeck Smith. I suggest you contact them and ask.
Lee

R. McAuley 3014V
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
The Smith parts listed in the 2010 S&S Firearms catalog indicate they fit original and Yeck reproduction Smiths, and they also have parts for the Piettas. The price they quote for their SC34 Smith Tumbler is $50 and includes the stirrup and tumbler/hammer screw. If the tumbler is one of the Yeck made tumblers, it will still require some fitting. If I might suggest another alternative, Rob Lewis at Tri-L Machine does cobalt welding and could perhaps re-build your tumbler if you need the tumbler re-filled and re-cut. He rebuilt the iron scear on my original Liege-made Tower after it had almost broke in two, and even lowered the trigger pull from 14 pounds to 4-1/2 pounds. By comparison, it is like having a hair-trigger.

tfirth44
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
s and s does have the tumbler you are talking about, i looked at it this weekend at the nationals but wouldnt work. after an hour or so of filing on the tumbler we got it to work properly. the biggest problem i have found with the gun is that the parts that went bad wouldnt have gone bad if someone who had it apart before me had put it back together properly. they had filed on the mainspring until it was weak. then put that directly on the tumbler without the stirrup. which in turn the person before me shot the gun not knowing about the problems and wore the tumbler out then snapped the main spring from it being weak. now im just gonna order the stirrup from s and s and ill be good to go.