PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Uberti dragoon?

jaegerstutzen
02-26-2021, 01:47 PM
Max charge 3F with eras gone by dragoon bullet. Will the chambers hold enough powder to get 950 fps with that big bullet ar do I need a Walker? Will a Walker even do it? Thanks for lookln.

Muley Gil
02-26-2021, 03:33 PM
Look for information on modern velocity reading using a chronograph. IIRC, a Dragoon cylinder will hold 50 grains of powder, while the Walker held 60 grains.

jaegerstutzen
02-26-2021, 05:50 PM
What I guess I need to know how much powder it will hold with Era bygone dragoon bullet. Seems like a bit less than with a round ball.

Bob Hatfield
02-27-2021, 07:13 AM
I shoot the regular Era's Gone bullet from an 1860 Army (Pietta) with 24 grains of Swiss 3F in nitrated brown coffee filter paper. I chronographed these and they averaged 790 fps. I contribute that to the Swiss powder. FWIW if I do my part it will shoot a nice round 6 shot group of 3-4 inches at 25 yards.

Bob

Muley Gil
02-27-2021, 07:05 PM
Seek and ye shall find. :D

Did a Yahoo search and....

Black Powder Ballistics (poconoshooting.com) (http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html)

It doesn't list the Dragoon with a conical, but does list a Walker, so it's close.

jaegerstutzen
03-02-2021, 05:44 PM
Thanks all gents. Have made the purchase and supposed to arrive Thurs. Next the mould. Will have to wait to fall nats. to get a better powder than my goex 3f. Next question is how high a front site will I need and what type and kind. Had a front site installed on a revolver years ago. Still needed to be higher. This is not to be a skirmish gun. Jaeger out.