PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here use a Magma Master Caster?

Tim Lyne
05-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Thinkin' 'bout one of these. Anybody own one who can speak to the pluses/negatives of such? My primary reason for considering this is physical decrepitude (although mental, emotional and moral decreptitude may also play a significant role as well)

I figure if something like this increases my usefulness enough I may'nt get kicked to the curb quite as soon as life intends...

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

RobBethke3rdMDArty
05-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Tim, I have the same question. Southron Sanders wrote and article in the Skirmish Line about two years ago. I have had some contact with him about it in the past. I did not follow up with him too well. I would try to get in touch with him. And then I'll get back in touch with him too. I could PM you his Email if you like.

Rob.

Southron Sr.
06-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I highly recommend using a Master Caster. I purchased my first one back in the 1980's.

You will be suprised how fast you can turn out cast bullets IF you have only cast by hand before.

Like I said in my article in The Skirmish Line about the Master Caster:

1. Regardless of what the folks at Master Caster tell you, you can easily modify any IRON Minie Ball mould with a "floating core pin" to use on your Master Caster. Heck, if you want, I will modify your iron Minie Ball mould for you to use on your Master Caster.

2. A Master Caster will "eat" Aluminum moulds alive-so plan on using iron moulds only.

3. When you order your Master Caster, order a half dozen Master Caster Sprue Plates with it; that way, when you want to set up a new iron mould on your Master Caster, you can easily do so.

If you have any questions, send me a PM

Southron Sanders

06-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Can you clarify why you can't use aluminum molds?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
06-02-2010, 07:00 AM
I'd never heard of one, but found this video on YouTube showing one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXGQp0oolQ

Southron Sr.
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Dear Glynn:

The ejecting and mould closing cycle of the Master Caster bangs the mould around somewhat. I tried to use an aluminum mould on my Master Caster and after casting approximately 2,000 bullets, I had to scrap the mould. Aluminum is simply too soft a metal.

DIRTY LITTLE SECRET: Aluminum is a poor metal to make moulds out of. The reason manufacturers use aluminum is because aluminum is CHEAP to buy. Unfortunately, aluminum softens up considerably when it is heated up to bullet casting temperatures.

Couple of other points:

I am convinced an operator that knows how to use a Master Caster can produce more accurate bullets than by any other method. Here are the reasons why:

1. When being filled, the mould is in EXACTLY the same position, bullet after bullet-this translates into more accurate bullets. The same cannot be said for hand poured bullets.

2. The operator can control the EXACT flow of metal into the mould-which means more uniform bullets, i.e., more uniform and accurate bullets.

I don't use the blower on my Master Caster to cool the mould because I don't need it. If I were to buy a new Master Caster, I probably would order one WITHOUT that fancy/dancy electronic thernomometer.

Like I said earlier, order at least a half-dozen Master Caster sprue plates so you can convert your Lyman and RCBS moulds over to use on your Master Caster.

GOOD LUCK

Southron Sanders

Scott Kurki, 12475
06-10-2010, 02:41 PM
From a cost benefit analysis perspective, what is the return on investment horizon for purchasing a Master Caster? Would you be better off buying bullets? For example, how many bullets do you need to make with the Master Caster for it to pay for itself? Or is that not the point?

Tim Lyne
06-11-2010, 07:15 AM
I appreciate the responses. My interest in this is pretty much from a physical-aide perspective. If can get bullets that are as good as or better than hand cast then that's certainly a plus.

Thanks Mr. Southron! I appreciate your firsthand experience.

Great place this bulletin board. Where else can you get this kind of expertise?

Regards,
Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Southron Sr.
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Dear Scott:

I have always cast my own Minie Balls and have never bought any. I am a "do it myself" type of fella.

Seems to me that a Master Caster could quickly "pay for itself" if you used it to cast Minie Balls, carbine bullets, etc for sale to your team members and other Skirmishers.

Whatever you decide- GOOD LUCK!

Tim Lyne
07-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I did indeed buy one of these. It came in last week and I spent the weekend casting with it. I didn't buy the lead pot; I only purchased the base unit. I figured I could modify my Lyman 20# to work and did so easily.

I really like this thing. And after observing it in operation, I agree with Mr. Southron; I think it can easily be adapted to cast minies.

Regards,

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V