PDA

View Full Version : Managing Various Bullets

Hal
02-19-2021, 07:51 AM
I shoot many different guns and have many moulds for the various bullets they shoot. I was thinking it would be nice to have a sample bullet from each of my moulds with some documentation as to what mould it came from and where it is used. If I were to buy a new gun, I could go to my samples and see what bullets I already have that might work in it. Does any of you do this? If so, tell us or show us how you do yours.

marv762
02-19-2021, 12:14 PM
i just use one bullet in all my muskets. that makes it easy. rapine 510 grn. does everything i need and i cast two cans full at the start of the year and im done.

efritz
02-19-2021, 04:12 PM
I keep all the targets I shoot on all guns in working up a load. Each target has a label with gun, powder type, grns, bullet used, size, distance, lube, comments. I have often gone back to these targets for reference. If I sell a gun I send the targets along to show what worked and what didn?t. I only do benched targets in working up a load. Even pistol targets. I know most guns will print differently when shot free hand so adjustments to sights come after benching. Has been the most reliable source for me. I do keep approx. 50 res. of some of the most popular bullets used in coffee cans for reference too. But like you I have a lot of moulds so not all are kept moulded.

jonk
03-08-2021, 01:45 AM
I have about 50 molds for everything from .32 acp up to .715 round ball, and everything in between. Skirmish guns, .30 cal, 8mm, revolver round balls, etc.

I don't manage my molds per say. I know what molds I have. When I get a new gun I try each mold that may be applicable, then write down what groups best. If nothing groups well I look at new molds outside the curve of what I have.

For instance, my notes might say something like: "Armi Sport 61 Springfield: Rapine 315 SWC, size to .576", either SPG or 50/50 mobil 1 and beeswax; 43 gr Goex FFG, lube base." Or "1898 Krag no 5 (I have or have had 5 of them). Shoots best with Lyman 311299, sized to .310, 50/50 alox/beeswax, gas check, no. 2 alloy, 18 gr of 2400 or 34 gr of IMR 4895, dacron tuft, Win LR primer. COL: see pilot cartridge already made in box for seat depth. NOTE: gun likes a firm crimp with the 4895 load."

In short I manage by GUN not by mold.

Hal
03-08-2021, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys. Perhaps I should have used "Catalog" rather than "Manage". I was thinking about maybe having a sample bullet from each mold with a tag that said what it was, maybe what size it drops at, what guns it might fit. Or maybe I should just do it with photographs and captions.

Lou Lou Lou
03-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Don?t understand why you would need a sample bullet. Just the data on a spreadsheet would tell you which molds to try.

Hal
03-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Just something to help my wife or boys identify what's what one day when I'm gone.