PDA

View Full Version : Cannot ship bp handguns USPS

Yakiman
02-15-2021, 07:20 PM
Just lost $300 on a "lost" package. 1861 Navy. USPS refuses to pay off (item was insured) because they have changed their regs and you can no longer ship any kind of handgun without a license. Don't know when that change was made but it's definitely on the books and doesn't seem to have been publicized. So, they tell me they don't have to cover my loss, even though it was insured, because I made an illegal shipment. On top of that they want me to prove what I paid for it (after I show them my C&R license) when I didn't pay anything for it, it was a trade - one gun for another. What happens when I send my $1k vintage watch out for repair and it gets lost? It came back from WWII in my dad's pocket, how can I quantify that? If you plan on shipping a muzzleloading handgun be warned that it's now illegal to do so through USPS.

Eggbert Shufflebottom
02-15-2021, 07:40 PM
Just lost $300 on a "lost" package. 1861 Navy. USPS refuses to pay off (item was insured) because they have changed their regs and you can no longer ship any kind of handgun without a license. Don't know when that change was made but it's definitely on the books and doesn't seem to have been publicized. So, they tell me they don't have to cover my loss, even though it was insured, because I made an illegal shipment. On top of that they want me to prove what I paid for it (after I show them my C&R license) when I didn't pay anything for it, it was a trade - one gun for another. What happens when I send my $1k vintage watch out for repair and it gets lost? It came back from WWII in my dad's pocket, how can I quantify that? If you plan on shipping a muzzleloading handgun be warned that it's now illegal to do so through USPS.

"Hint"...Never had books ripped off by U.S.P.S....Unless you have a receipt of some kind to provide good luck with USPS insurance. UPS insured has worked better for me...c

Lou Lou Lou
02-15-2021, 08:32 PM
Gun control act of 1968 says it isn?t a handgun.
they were sold in the commissary of the VA when I started working there in the 70?s

Yakiman
02-15-2021, 09:57 PM
Gun control act of 1968 says it isn?t a handgun.
they were sold in the commissary of the VA when I started working there in the 70?s

The new postal regs (July 2020) says they are.
See page 99

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail (usps.com) (https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf)

MarkTK36thIL
02-15-2021, 11:12 PM
The regs need to be revised for further clarification. The next sentence says muzzleloading pistols, then it's contradicted further down.

"thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:
a. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
b. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Muley Gil
02-15-2021, 11:43 PM
I would be fighting the USPS, because of the antique exemption covers your 1861. And I'm sure I could get a notarized statement from whoever you obtained the 1861 that the value traded was $300. Don't stop at the postmaster; keep going up the chain of command.

Yakiman
02-15-2021, 11:51 PM
The regs need to be revised for further clarification. The next sentence says muzzleloading pistols, then it's contradicted further down.

"thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:
a. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
b. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

FirearmThe following definitions apply:a. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or isdesigned to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by theaction of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; anyfirearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but theterm shall not include antique firearms (except antique firearmsmeeting the description of a handgun or of a firearm capable of beingconcealed on a person).

Occupied Maryland
02-16-2021, 09:24 AM
Just pack it up and mark it 'Bibles", it's been done before;)

buckandball
02-16-2021, 01:14 PM
Don't throw in the towel. I had a musket severely damaged by their negligence in shipping (like someone ran over the box or leaned it against the wall and kicked it). It took a lot of back and forth, but they finally settled. It took a repair estimate from Lodgewood. For a first generation Parker Hale... which aren't made anymore.

danajhanson
02-16-2021, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know...

Can you disassemble the blackpowder musket, carbine, revolver, etc. and simply ship antique gun parts ?

DJH

Muley Gil
02-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Just pack it up and mark it 'Bibles", it's been done before;)

The problem is that if the package is lost, as is what happened to the OP's 1851, USPS wouldn't pay for it, because you lied about the contents.

BTW, I received a 1851 Uberti in the mail Saturday, bought off of the SASS site.

Grepse
02-16-2021, 08:46 PM
The key word is parts, I use UPS.
Regards,
Jeffrey Cohen

Hal
02-17-2021, 06:53 AM
Actually, as I understood the new rules posted earlier, I don't think you could legally ship the frame.

Kevin Tinny
02-17-2021, 08:08 AM
Hello:

Seems there are lots of frustrating changes, some due to variations in interpretation of carrier rules and some from individual carrier representatives with a desire to make life complicated.

I have seen a UPS/FEDEX storefront simply refuse guns and say find another way. That mgr. is a vocal anti. No amount of pointing to regulations will budge her.

One way that has worked at "anti" spots is to pre-print the label, disclosing contents during the label process, and with politeness, just present box at storefront. Storefronts are not asking about contents when box presented.
If shipping to gunsmith, do both labels to avoid gunsmith being challenged.

I have had nasty USPS incidents with gun PARTS and high value collector handguns with USPS that refused to pay claims because small pieces of each box was "delivered". It's the word of the carrier, not yours! Another 1873 Colt revolver was found weeks after my wardance by BATFE in our local USPS facility taped to bottom of mail cart. Now, I NEVER use USPS if ANY value.

Have had Fedex's "not so good" drivers that own/lease vehicles and not return truck to facility, take stuff home, esp on weekends - and play with it! That's what the supervisor told me about the driver and my M1D in a triple padlocked Pelican case covered in cardboard so case not visible. Avoid shipping anything of value over a three-day holiday weekend.

I have a friend that is a UPS HUB Manager. He recommends being honest about contents and shipping as "high value" item so only supervisors handle and sign at each hand-off. This for cells, watches, etc. Costly. I have used it for guns.

NOW, many storefront UPS/FEDEX shipping points will NOT take any firearms because of theft and direct the shipper to the HUB, which can be a pain to visit.

Never finesse the contents description! Some stuff IS X-rayed. A friend got Federally charged and spent major bucks defending himself after shipping primers by air in his checked-thru baggage. Don't under estimate the opposition.
Yes, I used to declare "machined parts", but no more.

My suggestion is to find a way to do face-to-face, even if involves a reliable individual that is going near the destination. I would rather drive than worry.

Smiles,
Kevin Tinny

hobbler
02-17-2021, 09:34 AM
What means are being used by Cabelas, Dixie and all the various sutlers?

Maillemaker
02-17-2021, 09:50 AM
I have seen a UPS/FEDEX storefront simply refuse guns and say find another way.

Be aware that the "UPS Store" stores are not UPS. They won't take guns (unless you get lucky playing games like you did with the shipping label) You have to go to an actual UPS facility.

What means are being used by Cabelas, Dixie and all the various sutlers?

Cabela's will no longer ship black powder firearms to your door. This is because of a lawsuit about 2 years ago now where a convicted felon bought a black powder revolver mail-order and killed someone with it and they got sued. Now you have to buy in person and fill out a "fake 4473". It's the same questions as a 4473 but of course there is no actual background check performed because NICS isn't for black powder guns.

I believe the last guns I ordered from EMF company came UPS but I am not sure.

Steve

Occupied Maryland
02-17-2021, 12:01 PM
The problem is that if the package is lost, as is what happened to the OP's 1851, USPS wouldn't pay for it, because you lied about the contents.

BTW, I received a 1851 Uberti in the mail Saturday, bought off of the SASS site.

It was a tongue in cheek reference to Rev. Beecher and his Sharps bibles.

Muley Gil
02-17-2021, 05:36 PM
It was a tongue in cheek reference to Rev. Beecher and his Sharps bibles.

Nowadays, John Brown would have been charged with trespass and released. :(