PDA

View Full Version : Screw pitch spanner screw Rich Cross sight

fullertc
02-05-2021, 02:51 PM
What is the screw pitch of the spanner screw for the Rich Cross Type E rear sight for a Mississippi rifle? I need to drill and tap a new hole as the old sight did not pass muster. The unsat sight was a wee oversize and a new hole needs to be drilled in the barrel instead of using the old hole which needs to be filled. Thank you.

bobanderson
02-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Tom,
There are several brands of epoxy based stripped thread repair kits available.

I use the Permatex brand and it always gave good service, including repairing the stripped out wheel bolt holes in my tractor hub. I saw that it may have been discontinued, but I also saw a Loc-Tite product.

fullertc
02-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Bob, The problem is that when the Cross sight is fit in the milled slot, the new screw hole will be just to the rear of the old hole. The old hole needs to be filled in with a screw and finished flush with the barrel.
The slot dimension is different than the sight. The old sight is oversized in dimensions. I bought the rifle about 25 years ago from Bob Gaedke, a '60's member of the 5th Btry, who was a tool maker at Oldsmobile. Beautiful sight, but doesn't pass muster.

John Bly
02-06-2021, 09:07 PM
#8-32 threads