PDA

View Full Version : Burnside Carbine - Making it shoot

Michael Bodner
02-01-2021, 03:00 PM
So, tell me your tricks and experiences with the Burnside...

Did you get yours to shoot? Use the nylon or brass cases?

Powder and bullet recommendations....

Thanks!

-Boots

John Holland
02-01-2021, 05:58 PM
Mike - If you do a search through the archives you will find a huge amount of information on what works, and what does not work, regarding the Burnside Carbine.

noonanda
02-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Mine is still a work in progress. First thing I did was install a tall front sight.

I am using the Accurate .563 350B bullet.

I have tested it at 50Yds with 30Gr of Goex with 10Gr of C.O.W. , it seems a bit stout for the carbine but I do also know the original charge was higher so maybe it was just the way it felt off the bench. Once it warms up I plan on testing it out by going down to around 28 and see how it does.

RaiderANV
02-01-2021, 07:29 PM
What John said Boots!

One of mine shoots a round ball in brass cases an the other Rapine's Burnside bullet in the plastic cases. Neither will remotely shoot the other ones load with any kind of accuracy.

Eggman
02-02-2021, 12:32 PM
What John said Boots!

One of mine shoots a round ball in brass cases an the other Rapine's Burnside bullet in the plastic cases. Neither will remotely shoot the other ones load with any kind of accuracy.
This post is chicken and the egg level prophetic.
And I have to ask, what is THE MAN OF MAYNARD doing in Burnside's courtyard?????

Hal
02-02-2021, 12:33 PM
I've always heard they are ornery and will shoot well when you FINALLY find what it wants. I've yet to find what mine wants.....

Carolina Reb
02-02-2021, 01:12 PM
All Burnsides are haunted. They KNOW know when you have doubts and will punish your timerity. Once you convince your self and Truly Believe they will shoot, they work quite well. Just never doubt that you can hit with one, or you are lost, forever lost!

Eggman
02-02-2021, 01:37 PM
Yes, here strength of belief is vital -- essentially the same as Santa Claus and the Abominable Snowman.

RaiderANV
02-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Sir Eggs........with over 500 long arms in my collection there's not much i don't have. Just never really spoke of them. I have 6 burnsides. Have only fired the two.
And NO......I do not own a frig'n starr. I sold those four dug ones I had in that photo holding up my tomatoes at my farm.