PDA

View Full Version : 1863 Enfield with pictures

Des
08-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I have been looking at a 1863 Enfield that was brought back from Afghanistan. It looks pretty original but I sure am no expert. Most of the lock parts that I could see had markings on them. The barrel also had proofs. I tried to put pictures with this post but can't figure out how to do it.

If someone can help identify this as real or fake I would appreciate it. I can send pictures but evidently not through this forum.

Thanks,

Des

Joe Plakis, 9575V
08-19-2008, 03:37 PM
You can post pictures, the one way I know if doing it is to upload the pictures on photobucket, and then just post the html. links.

hope it helps

Jim Mayo
08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
If it is from Afghanistan it is likely some model of Enfield and not a reproduction. Was it used in the American CW, most likely not. It may also be a combination of parts, some locally made and some robbed from other Enfields. These guns are still in use in that part of the world and are very easy to come by. Before you spend money do some google searches for antique arms dealers and look at the CW enfields they have for sale. Many of the dealers will specify all the markings on the guns and tell what some mean. One thing is for sure, the markings on an American CW Enfield will not match the markings on an Afghanistan Enfield except for maybe a makers mark or proof mark.

Mike w/ 34th
08-19-2008, 06:07 PM
If you send the pics to martini@rica.net, I'll put them up on my fototime.com site for you.

You might also want to run the gun by the guys at www.martiniforum.org (http://www.martiniforum.org) as we have several folks there who have first-hand experience shopping the bazaars in Kabul and Kandahar.

Muley Gil
08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I was in Afghanistan for 3 years and I looked at every Enfield I could get my hands on.

As my fellow Virginian, Jim Mayo, said, the Enfields run anywhere from totally correct to totally native made, with many in between. I picked up a horse pistol that has a great lock, but I'm sure that the stock was made in the 20th century.

I saw good ones that were made by Enfield and I also saw ones that were built by the same contractors that shipped weapons to the Confederacy and to the d**n Yankees. :D

Mike w/ 34th
08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.fototime.com/%7BF887F3BC-4D7F-4548-A9E2-FFAAF35E7CFA%7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD3DDAB97-9B24-4434-AE6A-098CDD8057D6%7D/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B07F2C7FF-C8EE-41A9-AD59-BA9B289069E3%7D/picture.JPG

To me, the lock looks legit, but the barrel proofs look like very good fakes. Instead of an "X" they should have crossed batons. And the "2" should be "25". If the barrel is real, it's probably been scrubbed and re-marked.

Cheers,

Mike

Des
08-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Mike,

Thanks for posting the pictures. The individual I purchased this from had 10 rifles he had brought back. Everything I shoot is a reproduction and would like to have an original of something. Even if the lock is all that is original that is OK for what I paid for the complete rifle.

Thanks again

R. McAuley 3014V
08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
CENSORED

Jim Mayo
08-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Just to add a little bit of general info to clear things up. RSAF stands for Royal Small Arms Factory. They made arms under contract exclusively for the British Government. They were not the makers of the Tower Enfields usually seen in this country. The Tower marked Enfields were made in Birmington usually by the Birmingham Small Arms Trade which sold most of the Enfields used in this Country. The next largest seller of Enfields to this country (either side, take your pick) was the London Arms company. As a result the RSAF, London Armory and the Birmingham guns will all have some different markings, especially the lock marking and proof marks. Bottom line is that the Afgan guns are authentic Enfields but were not marked like the ones used in our CW. Very few of the RSAF ever showed up over here. (Generally Speaking) With Enfields there are always surprises.

R. McAuley 3014V
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
CENSORED

Des
08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for everyones input. Based on the information I received I felt it was worthwhile to get the barrel relined and make a good shooter out of it.

Thanks

Des
09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
I did locate some markings on the bottom of the barrel at the breech end. There were 4 sets of markings.

Sceptor X I

III

Sceptor X I2

Sceptor X II