PDA

View Full Version : WTB 1842 Springfield/Harpers Ferry Front/Rear Swivel for sling

Wrekreation
01-29-2021, 01:11 PM
10458Here is what I have. I'm looking for a second swivel that matches the swivel on the far left with the tapered pin, and is a single piece of metal. The one in the middle and the one on the right have had the actual swivels brazed/bronzed onto the loops. When polished, the brazing shows. I've tried S&S, Lodgewood, Grandpasgunparts, and Taylors. None match the one on the left. I'm also looking for an original nipple for an 1842 Harpers Ferry smoothbore display piece.

thanks

fuddster
01-29-2021, 02:45 PM
10458Here is what I have. I'm looking for a second swivel that matches the swivel on the far left with the tapered pin, and is a single piece of metal. The one in the middle and the one on the right have had the actual swivels brazed/bronzed onto the loops. When polished, the brazing shows. I've tried S&S, Lodgewood, Grandpasgunparts, and Taylors. None match the one on the left. I'm also looking for an original nipple for an 1842 Harpers Ferry smoothbore display piece.

thanks

Might take a look at Dixie Gunworks also...they carry quite a bit of original parts

Harry Gaul
01-29-2021, 06:55 PM
You might want to repost the pictures with some king of measuring device like a ruler or graph paper. All that I can tell is that the swivel on the far left is smaller than the other two.

Harry in Pa.
03626v

John Bly
01-29-2021, 08:22 PM
The correct castings have not been available for several years. None of the suttlers can get them anymore it seems. I have asked several of them for several years. Perhaps someone has a few put away they would part with. Those of us who restore relics could sure use some.

Wrekreation
01-29-2021, 08:29 PM
Might take a look at Dixie Gunworks also...they carry quite a bit of original parts
They don't have any listed. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wrekreation
01-29-2021, 08:30 PM
You might want to repost the pictures with some king of measuring device like a ruler or graph paper. All that I can tell is that the swivel on the far left is smaller than the other two.

Harry in Pa.
03626v

The problem is that the middle and left swivel have (for lack of a proper term) washers welded on a metal bar that is bent to shape. These aren't cast parts. The one of the left is a single piece of metal with the ends hammered out and then the item is bent to shape and drilled.

Thanks for the idea.

Maillemaker
01-29-2021, 10:15 PM
Does anyone have pictures of an original?

I believe this could be easily made in the flat via laser cutting. The main shaft would then be filed round and then formed on a mandrel into the final shape.

Steve

Wrekreation
01-30-2021, 12:40 PM
Does anyone have pictures of an original?

I believe this could be easily made in the flat via laser cutting. The main shaft would then be filed round and then formed on a mandrel into the final shape.

Steve

I'd have to decide not to buy firearms/ammo/powder/lead and look for a laser cutter. Or I could just pull my boots on and use what I have. Thanks

Maillemaker
01-30-2021, 03:19 PM
LOL. I was thinking of making them.

I don't have a laser cutter, but it's easy to make the part in CAD and have it shopped out by a laser cutting firm.

Here is one:

https://www.oshcut.com/

https://i.imgur.com/iAM7Qosm.png

Steve

kb466
01-30-2021, 04:32 PM

thanks
i believe I have a single piece swivel like you need. It has no brazing and is slightly shorter than the others that are brazed together, like in your picture. It looks like it takes a tapered pin, though I do not have the pin. If you still need it, I will let you have it for the cost of postage. Let me know by email-
kb466(at)hotmail(dot)com
Another possible option is The Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma. They have them available. Likely it will be one piece castings from originals and will require final polishing and finishing.

Wrekreation
01-31-2021, 12:04 PM
LOL. I was thinking of making them.

I don't have a laser cutter, but it's easy to make the part in CAD and have it shopped out by a laser cutting firm.

Here is one:

https://www.oshcut.com/

https://i.imgur.com/iAM7Qosm.png

Steve
I've never done anything like that. I'm going to look into this some more because I have had other ideas and I've wondered how to get them machined.
thanks
Craig