PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh Sharps gas check plate

satwel
01-26-2021, 06:54 AM
I am in the middle of figuring out how to make a replacement Conant gas check plate on my lathe. I'm starting with 4140 steel for the material. Have any of you Sharps owners ever seen a gas check plate made from a metal other than steel? I'm wondering if Ampco bronze or a bearing bronze might also work.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
01-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Been shooting an Ampco plate for about fourteen years. Still good. What more need I say?

bobanderson
01-27-2021, 07:02 AM
Larry Flees, ljflees@hotmail.com or 231-342-0821, does Sharps gas check conversions, which include an Ampco bronze gas check plate.

Call/contact him about your question. I'm sure you'll come away happy.

Maillemaker
01-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Larry Flees did my Pedersoli Sharps back in 2016. It has shot trouble-free ever since. Note that the gas check plate is only part of the magic. He also removes the Pedersoli sliding chamber sleeve and replaces it with a fixed one.

https://i.imgur.com/5u1HBwol.png
https://i.imgur.com/I8m0weal.jpg

Steve

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-27-2021, 10:25 AM
No moveable gas check plate. Leave it flat. The best shooter I had, had NO gas check. It was made by the late Mike Newhouse and worked great. And no big hole in it for things to get into i and no gas leaks either.

apriestley
02-15-2021, 05:18 PM
Back to the range today. The gas leak issue is gone with a new washer. I was able to get some good shooting with Moose compression bullets. My question now is what is the powder capacity on these supposed to be? I had made up some 45 grain charges using the plastic cartridges and was not even close to getting it all in the chamber. I thought the capacity was supposed to be closer to 60 grains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.Altland
02-15-2021, 07:08 PM
Back to the range today. The gas leak issue is gone with a new washer. I was able to get some good shooting with Moose compression bullets. My question now is what is the powder capacity on these supposed to be? I had made up some 45 grain charges using the plastic cartridges and was not even close to getting it all in the chamber. I thought the capacity was supposed to be closer to 60 grains?

Depends on the size of your chamber. I have one Garrett with a .610 diameter chamber and one Garrett with a .565 diameter chamber. The lead in my 6 right is cut differently than the lead in my 7 left so the ball seats deeper in the 6 right. All of which affects total powder charge. Either way, with a Christmas Tree bullet I would never get 60 grains.

apriestley
02-15-2021, 10:02 PM
Deleted, wrong thread