PDA

View Full Version : Parker-Hale 1861 Artillery Carbine

dbm
01-17-2021, 11:38 AM
The popular Parker-Hale 1861 Artillery Carbine features in the new edition of my free web site Journal. The early advertising brochure includes a picture of some of the gauges borrowed from the Pattern Room to enable them to get the reproduction as close to the original as possible. Full contents and link below (also for back issues).

Research Press Journal ? Issue 10, Winter 2020/21. Free download pdf magazine (40 pages).

Contents:

Priming - News, Events, People & Places
A Lecture on Military Rifles (1905)
The Remington Rolling Block
Shooting Medals awarded to Major A.B. Leech
Long Range Shooting: An Historical Perspective
Parker-Hale's 1861 Enfield Artillery Carbine
The China Cup 1864

Link to Download current and back issues (http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/publishing/category/5-journal) - external site

Thanks for your interest.

David

John Holland
01-17-2021, 03:38 PM
thank you David Minshall for continuing to post the links to your fantastic research publications!

hobbler
01-18-2021, 08:47 PM
From me also sir.
Timely reading for the 1861 as I'm beginning to think about shooting it.
Thank you.

Muley Gil
01-19-2021, 09:30 PM
From me also sir.
Timely reading for the 1861 as I'm beginning to think about shooting it.
Thank you.

You should. I have a P-H musketoon also. I used it during carbine team events. Mine is very accurate. I changed to a Smith carbine so that I could miss faster. :D The P-H is accurate; I'm not. :(

hobbler
01-21-2021, 08:29 PM
Well, you're right.
Got a half a dozen different 58 minie molds in the fun box. It's bound to like at least one of them!:rolleyes:

Occupied Maryland
01-30-2021, 08:47 PM
Wow, I just snagged one of these yesterday at a shop I frequent. It was a sorry looking mess, dirty with wood dry as a bone and smears of glass bedding compound dulling the dry metal. Fortunately the blue on the barrel and bands wasn't rusted up and the lock had only a trace of surface rust, the ramrod bearing the worst rust. A few hours scrubbing the bore, removing crud and oiling the wood produced this nifty little Carbine. I'm sure it was someone's NSSA rifle with the glass bedding and front sight blade replaced.

Scott Lynch 1460V
02-01-2021, 05:08 PM
These are typically called musketoons, not artillery carbines. They were for Cavalry. Very few artillery units were equipped with small arms of any kind. Reason, they were supposed to man the gun down to the last two artillerymen. The last remaining crew member was supposed to spike the gun before abandoning it. They actually carried a mallet and spike for that purpose. This would prevent "turn the guns, turn the guns" as you see in the movies, as they would have been useless at that point.

The PH Musketoon is very accurate. To keep it from giving you a sore cheek, you need to either put taller sights on it or shoot as intended. With the body squared towards the enemy and you head back on the straight stock. I love mine. Scott