PDA

View Full Version : Simple Burnside Repair Needed, Who Works on These Guns?

rcbloom2
01-15-2021, 01:45 PM
Gun will not fire. My thoughts, the flash channel is clogged. Any recommendation how to get it unplugged or someone who can get it unclogged.

Hal
01-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Mine was plugged when I got it. I pulled the nipple and worked from both ends with a small drill bit twisting it slowly BY HAND between my fingers to get all the hardened stuff out. I stress BY HAND. Don't remove any metal. A copper wire might be safer, but I used a tiny drill bit.

rcbloom2
01-15-2021, 03:36 PM
Mine was plugged when I got it. I pulled the nipple and worked from both ends with a small drill bit twisting it slowly BY HAND between my fingers to get all the hardened stuff out. I stress BY HAND. Don't remove any metal. A copper wire might be safer, but I used a tiny drill bit.

Cannot get nipple off. I have guitar string but it will not make the bend. Have it soaking in tranny fluid and kerosene until I can get someone to get nipple off.

noonanda
01-15-2021, 05:42 PM
Cannot get nipple off. I have guitar string but it will not make the bend. Have it soaking in tranny fluid and kerosene until I can get someone to get nipple off.

you have the correct wrench for the burnsides nipple?

rcbloom2
01-15-2021, 06:32 PM
you have the correct wrench for the burnsides nipple?

The nipple wrench I have fits the nipple perfectly.

Hal
01-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Let it soak. It didn't get stuck overnight, so it's not apt to become unstuck overnight.

Some gentle heat would probably do it if the soaking does eventually do it for you. Dr

rcbloom2
01-17-2021, 06:28 PM
Gun will not fire. My thoughts, the flash channel is clogged. Any recommendation how to get it unplugged or someone who can get it unclogged.

Good news. Got the nipple off and luckily had a drill bit that fit in flash channel. Full of rust. Worked at it from both ends and now it is clear. Had to order a new nipple, but overall I think I got off cheap. Now have to wait for nipple to arrive. Thanks to everyone who helped and another assault weapon is "on the streets."

Hal
01-18-2021, 07:03 AM
Glad you got it.

Now, if you can get it to shoot well,.................. RELIABLY,.................. let us know. I've worked up loads and thought I was there, and then make up cartridges exactly like before and end up with 8" groups. Baffles the everloving crap out of me. I just got a new mould for it Saturday, but haven't tried it out yet. Hoping that one will be better.....

rcbloom2
01-19-2021, 10:31 PM
Glad you got it.

Now, if you can get it to shoot well,.................. RELIABLY,.................. let us know. I've worked up loads and thought I was there, and then make up cartridges exactly like before and end up with 8" groups. Baffles the everloving crap out of me. I just got a new mould for it Saturday, but haven't tried it out yet. Hoping that one will be better.....

What mold did you buy and from where?

Hal
01-20-2021, 07:10 AM
It's the 56-390A from Accurate Moulds. I still haven't cast with it, but holding out hope it will do well.

noonanda
01-20-2021, 09:14 AM
It's the 56-390A from Accurate Moulds. I still haven't cast with it, but holding out hope it will do well.

Nice I went with the 56-350B

Eggman
01-20-2021, 09:56 AM
I hope this doesn't come across as negative but Burnside carbines perform about as well on the line as the original Burnside did at Fredericksburg. Ambrose developed the gun in collaboration with his friend Rube and really didn't have time to work out the bugs before the big conflab got going. You're not probably quite there yet but eventually you'll probably achieve greater help and solace consulting with an N-SSA chaplain than with BB techies. I know you can find them in the Southern regions -- not too sure about Joe Biden's north.

Hal
01-20-2021, 12:27 PM
I've not tried the 56-350B. I do have the 56-340B, but it never shot well. I've been using the 56-450B. It has worked better than the 56-340B for me, but still not great. I understand that some 5th model Burnsides won't feed the 56-450B unless you remove the guide screw, but they feed fine in mine. Although an unfired round will sometimes hang up on the tip of the bullet if you try to unload it. I just shoot them into the backstop like I would a muzzle loader.

Carolina Reb developed the 56-390A. It is almost exactly like the original Burnside bullet (Original didn't have the flat 'meplat' on the nose and I think he enlarged the lube grooves a bit). I don't think he has made his Burnside into a tack driver yet, but he says the 56-390A performs better than any other he has tried. I hope to try soon and see for myself.

Carolina Reb
01-20-2021, 06:08 PM
I have never had good luck with bullets lighter than 390 grains in a Burnside (that's in three different carbines). In addition to being too light, the lube grooves in the Rapine bullet were too small. That feature has been copied on several other molds. Even if you get it to shoot, accuracy only lasts 6 or 8 shots.

Eggman, my first breechloader was a Burnside (should have never sold it!). After a lot of load development it shot the old Dixie bullet (~400 grains) very well. Not Distinguished Skirmisher well, but top half of the A Team well. The day I shot pickup with the First Florida they invited me back.

Eggman
01-20-2021, 06:28 PM
Eggman, my first breechloader was a Burnside (should have never sold it!). After a lot of load development it shot the old Dixie bullet (~400 grains) very well. Not Distinguished Skirmisher well, but top half of the A Team well. The day I shot pickup with the First Florida they invited me back.

I've heard rumors as such. WOuld love to see.

rcbloom2
01-22-2021, 09:39 PM

I just bought one and made the mistake of asking for .558 diameter. Too small and will not fit in my cases while a .562 round ball will fit. Got me. Shot it today with .562 round ball. Put them all in the black.

ms3635v
01-23-2021, 08:33 AM
The diameter of the original bullets are .562 diameter. I have a teammate who has been shooting a Burnside for years and has been successful with a .562" round ball.

Eggman
01-23-2021, 09:51 AM
I just bought one and made the mistake of asking for .558 diameter. Too small and will not fit in my cases while a .562 round ball will fit. Got me. Shot it today with .562 round ball. Put them all in the black.
Have I talked to you guys about the provenance of this gun???? Well never mind that.
You realize you'll never be accepted in the "Really Cool Bullets Club" with that round ball. How are you lubing? You realize you'll need at least a dozen rounds already well lubed up for a typical team match. Just wondering.