PDA

View Full Version : Smith Carbine Bullet Sizing Diameter Question

rcbloom2
01-08-2021, 08:19 PM
What diameter has original Smith shooters been sizing their bullets to? The bullets I cast come out of the mold .518. I am going to try sizing to groove diameter in an attempt to increase accuracy over what I am getting now that is unacceptable IMHO. I want my groups to be at or smaller than a clay target. I am too lazy to slug the bore, that is why I am asking first. If it comes down to it, I will slug the bore. Thanks in advance.

Carolina Reb
01-08-2021, 10:20 PM
0.518" usually shoots well, but you should slug the bore. Smiths were made by 2 different contractors and groove diameters do vary. Try 30 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 F and .5cc of your favorite filler. Before you go nuts with loads...

Is the hinge tight?
Is the top strap lockup tight?
Is the buttstock tight?
If it's not, is the bottom buttplate screw loose?
If that's tight and the buttstock is still loose, you need to bed the buttstock, or shorten the screw, or cut another thread on the screw,
Is the nipple burned out?
Is the frame flash hole burned out?
Is the muzzle nicked or damaged?

If all these are OK, then start working up loads.

Smiths will shoot very well even with a really nasty bore, as long as they do not have any of the above problems.

Michael Bodner
01-08-2021, 10:21 PM
Well, as long as your bullet is LARGER than the bite of the barrel, it will 'size' itself since it's a breechloader.

If anything, the bullet could be too small, not big.

What powder load are you using?

Open sights? How's the eyes?

Maillemaker
01-08-2021, 11:40 PM
My load workup exercise with my Pietta Smith and Eras Gone Smith bullet:

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/19194-Load-workups-today-with-new-Smith-Carbine

Steve

ms3635v
01-09-2021, 08:10 AM
I shoot a .518" diameter bullet in my original Smith.

Lou Lou Lou
01-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Before it was relined, I shot a .520 in my original Smith

singleshot
01-09-2021, 01:39 PM
518 is what I shoot in my Smith after a reline.

CAGerringer
01-09-2021, 03:30 PM
My load workup exercise with my Pietta Smith and Eras Gone Smith bullet:

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/19194-Load-workups-today-with-new-Smith-Carbine

Steve

Steve,
I just this week did a work-up with my Fire-lapped Pietta Smith.
I got the same results as you. The best load with a Lee .515 sized bullet was 32 grns of Goex 3F. All shot from a Lead-sled rest.
Attached is a cardboard skeet target, shot off-hand at 50 yds., with my last 5 rounds.
The thing is...I've never shot this carbine that well!!! That fire-lapping WORKS!!!

Charlie Gerringer
Old Dominion Dragoons

rcbloom2
01-11-2021, 12:27 PM
0.518" usually shoots well, but you should slug the bore. Smiths were made by 2 different contractors and groove diameters do vary. Try 30 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 F and .5cc of your favorite filler. Before you go nuts with loads...

>I plan on slugging.

Is the hinge tight?
Is the top strap lockup tight?
Is the buttstock tight?

>yes to all

If it's not, is the bottom buttplate screw loose?
If that's tight and the buttstock is still loose, you need to bed the buttstock, or shorten the screw, or cut another thread on the screw,
Is the nipple burned out?
Is the frame flash hole burned out?
Is the muzzle nicked or damaged?

>no to all

If all these are OK, then start working up loads.

Smiths will shoot very well even with a really nasty bore, as long as they do not have any of the above problems.

>the bore on mine is like a mirror.

rcbloom2
01-11-2021, 12:30 PM
Well, as long as your bullet is LARGER than the bite of the barrel, it will 'size' itself since it's a breechloader.

If anything, the bullet could be too small, not big.

>I do not think so, but will check.

What powder load are you using?

>36 grains of 3Fg.

Open sights? How's the eyes?

>Open sights. I am 55 years old and can still focus on the front sight.

Hal
01-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Slugging will get you the size. It could be mirror bright and still be oversized. Wartime production. I could believe out of spec barrels made it out of the factory.

Michael Bodner
01-12-2021, 07:56 AM
The Smith can shoot VERY good.

All the above posts make good points and have sound advice.

Shooting from the bench introduces it's own issue. Most all stem from not mounting the gun exactly the same for each shot. Check, eye, shoulder, must all be placed in damn near the exact same spot to get 100% repeatable results.

When we're sighting in, folks are expecting one-hole groups. Your gun may be able to get it, but can the shooter?

Slug it to make sure the bullet is truly engaging the rifling. Plus you can feel for any loose or tight spots in the barrel.

If you've done everything listed and it still won't group well enough, you can always use it as a test stake!

But seriously, a LOT of good advice in the responses above. Recall, a few thousandths of an inch makes a difference, so go slowly and see what you find

Michael Bodner
01-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Also, insufficient lube can kill accuracy in a Smith quickly. My is a great shooter. Short version, I ended up reducing lube by about 50% by error. After 4 shots, bullets we hitting the ground when fired at 50 yards. Completely fouled. Added a little lube to bullet at the mouth of the case and fixed.

Determine the correct seating depth. Partially seat bullet so it sticks way out. Put into gun and close. Open and gently remove cartridge. Measure over all length with caliper. That's the length you want to make you cartridge.

So load the powder, seat bullet remeasure. Figure out gap and add filler on top of powder to get that length. A slight compression of the load when closing the breech IS desirable...

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-12-2021, 11:40 AM
Who made your Smith carbine? What is the maker and model number of your bullet mould?

Muley Gil
01-12-2021, 01:58 PM
>Open sights. I am 55 years old and can still focus on the front sight.

Your carbine has a front sight? maybe THAT'S why I can't hit the dadblame target! :D