PDA

View Full Version : Question About Minie Balls Sticking in Sizer

VMI88
01-03-2021, 10:24 AM
I have a Shiloh .575 push-through sizer that I've used with several different Minie ball molds over the years. My current mold is an older Lyman-Ideal 575213, which I understand is not exactly the same as the current mold with that number. When I try to push the balls through the sizer they get stuck halfway through and have to be hammered out with so much force that they're destroyed in the process. I've tried lubricating with a light coat of oil but that doesn't help. I think what is happening is that the plunger doesn't fit all the way to the base of the cavity and begins expanding the skirt as the bullet is pushed through the die.

Is this a common problem? If so, what is the solution? I could file the plunger to better fit my bullet but then it wouldn't necessarily work with any other Minie ball. Is there somewhere to buy properly fitted plungers for different bullet styles? I'm open to buying an entirely new sizer if there's a better choice available but I want to understand the problem first so I don't end up in the same place.

Harry Gaul
01-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Try a smaller plunger. My take is the plunger needs to be on the small size so when you size, the excess lead has to go somewhere. With a smaller plunger, the lead skirt is compressed down to the size of the sizer. If the plunger is the same size as the interior of the base, the lead in the skirt has no place to go. Remember two things can not occupy the same space at the same time. Sizing down more than 0.003 is tough. [emoji841]

Harry in Pa
03626v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lostinwestchester
01-03-2021, 12:53 PM
You may have to go to 2 or 3 steps. Try .001 larger first. Then pass it through the final sze.

lost

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lou Lou Lou
01-03-2021, 01:00 PM
You may need to buy additional sizers in .001 or .002 increments. Not all .575 molds are .575. Have you sized the bore?

MR. GADGET
01-03-2021, 02:22 PM
If the plunger is the same size as the interior of the base, the lead in the skirt has no place to go. Remember two things can not occupy the same space at the same time.

Harry in Pa
03626v

Fill us in on your thoughts for this?
The sizer is not a defined space, it is not closed off. Depends on the die the top will be open or the bottom.
All you are doing is forcing it into a defined dia. The overall length is free to change.
If you change the pin the bullet will deform and be useless.

Try a smaller plunger. My take is the plunger needs to be on the small size so when you size, the excess lead has to go somewhere. With a smaller plunger, the lead skirt is compressed down to the size of the sizer. If the plunger is the same size as the interior of the base, the lead in the skirt has no place to go. Remember two things can not occupy the same space at the same time. Sizing down more than 0.003 is tough. [emoji841]

Harry in Pa
03626v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would that not deform the bullet and make it the bullet weight change if you clean it up?

I have never found a bullet I need to beat out of the sizer. I'm able to size full metal jacket bullets and about any bullet.

To the OP

My guess is
your sizer is not correct size for the bullet.
Your press is not large enough
Hard lead
Build up of lead in sizer
Sizer needs to be cleaned and lubed

One of the above or several.

Would help if you could provide better info of the bullet size after casting
True measure of die
Type of press or sizer and tools used.

VMI88
01-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the assistance! Here is further information that may help:

The bullets as cast measure .578
A bullet after passing through the sizer measures .575
The lead is salvage lead pipe (no solder joints) that is easily scratched with the thumbnail

The sizer is a Shiloh hand sizer mounted in a wooden block. There is no press - just a plunger that I use to push the bullets through nose first. I've tried oiling the die but haven't really scrubbed it out with a brush. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

MR. GADGET
01-03-2021, 06:06 PM
You should be able to size that bullet fine. Upper end of what I would do without a step.
Most the good dies have a long taper like the dies Tom Crone makes. My opinion is the problem is the hand push.
Those are only good for truing a bullet. It will be very hard to size more than .001
Best bet is to find a press and a good die. Tom makes both.
Lee makes a great hand press about 25$ if I recall or use the one Tom builds. I really like mine I got from him.

You may get by without a press using a wood block like you are with a good die.

Southron Sr.
01-03-2021, 08:32 PM
Your problem is EXACTLY WHY I DON'T USE A HAND SIZER. Get a reloading press and some sizers that fit it and say "Good Bye" to your resizing problems.

J. C. Hall
01-04-2021, 07:52 AM
When I was using a push through sizer, which has been many, many years ago, I used to lube the bullet first. Then after lubing the bullet push it through the sizer with a 1/2" dowel about 6" long that I had glued into a short piece of 2x4 and shaped the end so it fit into the cavity of the bullet. This sized the bullet and trimmed off the excess lube which I put back into the lube pot. I was using a 575213 Lyman mold that had been modified to throw a wadcutter and a short .575 sizer that couldn't have been over 3/4" tall. I now use lubrasizers for all sizing and like them very much.

Ron The Old Reb
01-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Find someone who has a lathe and have them turn 7x14 threads on the die and make a pusher out of a piece of round stock that will fit a shell holder.. Then you can use any loading press.
Problem solved a lot easer and faster then pushing them thou by hand.

VMI88
01-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Thanks to all for the assistance - after cleaning/lubing the sizer and using a better fitting plunger I'm able to get the bullets through without deforming them. However, sizing down .003" does seem to be at the maximum range of possibility since there isn't much left of the grease rings afterward.

Eggman, you make a great point - is anyone making an old style Minie ball that casts somewhere around .573 or even a little smaller? I'm not a competition shooter so I'm more interested in an original style bullet even if it's a little under optimum size.

Maillemaker
01-04-2021, 07:17 PM
I had the exact same problem trying to size some Sharps bullets a month or so ago.

I initially tried putting some 3-in-1 oil on a bullet and pushing it through. Believe it or not, this actually made it worse.

I then smeared some high pressure grease on a bullet, and it went through with ease. And all subsequent bullets went through fine with no additional lube.

Steve

Hal
01-07-2021, 06:56 AM
I lube my bullets with Hornady "One Shot" case lube. The paste type, not the spray-on kind. It comes in a little flat can very much like shoe polish, and the consistency is very much like shoe polish. Just a tiny amount on your thumb and forefinger will lube them well enough just through handling them and you can do probably 6-8 before needing to put more on your fingers. The same applies to sizing modern cases, but I find it does a great job when sizing cast bullets.

And....I wholeheartedly agree with others about getting a reloading press. There are some pretty inexpensive ones out there that are a C-frame type that would be just fine for resizing bullets. The C-frame makes for easy access and visibility. I wouldn't want to small base full length resize 30-06 cases on it, but for light work like resizing bullets, the open front would probably be an asset, not a liability. And like I said, they are pretty inexpensive.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-19-2021, 12:28 PM
For years Jerry Harmon made them that size. I would suggest asking for one of the sizes you want here. He made hand sizers and lubrisizers too. If not, ask Tom Crone to make one up.